1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Great news

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Great news

I found Someone that has guppies, and I can get some for free, I just about to head over there right now.

I think it would be better to get my guppies now and now with all my other fish.

well going to see if my dog ready to come in and head over to get me some free guppies.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nothing is better than free, unless they are diseased or something...and I highly doubt a friend would do that intentionally.
    So what are you scoring? Fancy's I'm assuming...males? Females? Colors?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I think most of them are wild, or not select breeding, but I got a ton for free.

They not really a friend but neighbors, but I look at all three of their tanks and they all looked healthy. I also found a home for my sepae tetra that I think it will like more them my one gallon.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow! thats great writer. Doesn't matter if they are pure...as long as you like them that's all that matters. And if you used the females and cross bred them with some fancy males you can get some really pretty colors I'm sure!

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the female I got may be fancy guppies :)

I'm so happy, I'm getting them ready for my tank, I got them in a butter tube right now, because of this I'm trying a new method of them getting use to my tank water.

I siphon out about a 25% of the water in the tube with a air line tube, then fill it back up with water from my main tank, I'm also running tap water thought the air tube to get any possible harm full stuff that could be in their tank.

I was thinking about doing this 2 or 3 time, do you think that will work?

P.S. FYI you can call me Scott or Scotty if you want in place of writer.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Okie Dokie Scott, sounds like your defin doing right by the new fish.
    I normally float them in a fish bag that has been blown with air twisted and gum-band at the end. Your basically doing the same thing with the butter tube.
    Slowly removing equal amounts of the water their in, and replacing it with the water they WILL BE going in...if you do that 2/3 times you should be good.
    The goal is to slowly replace the water their in with the water they WILL BE going in. Once you feel you've done that they should be well adjusted.
    If your able to, shut the lights off when adding them (will reduce stress further).
    PS. don't bother with the tap water, really shouldn't be a need unless the water they were/are in now is horrid.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

O yea I have some more great news, I cleaned out my one gallon or siphon junk out, and it was basically what I throw snails and what I thought where dead plants, and when clean it I notice that some of them are growing sprouts!!!

Today just a great day!!!!!

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice! I take it the plant that is sprouting will go with the guppies?
    If you intend on trying to keep the fry alive without giving them a chance to eat them..your defin going to want some form of breeder grass (whether it be plastic, or live).
    If your going with live look for guppy grass, microsword grass, glosso, etc.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well I have some fake breeds grass, however I'm going to set up a Fry raising tank with my ten as soon as I can make a do it yourself sponge filter.

I'm definely add my plant that are sprouting to my tank with the guppies because my light one gallon has no light!!!!!!

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds like a good plan, if you don't make one I know I've seen them really cheap online. The fake grass will really prove benefical (sp) with guppies.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I know the babies that I had from my last bunch of guppies would always hide in it if it was floating, or in the filter T.T

I'm also taking my sepea tetra out of the main tank and put him in my little one gallon then see if I could take it to my neighbors seeing how the mom live them.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Awe, that would be nice. Put a pre-filter sponge on the filter to keep the babies from being sucked in, that or a Seachem THE BAG and zip tie it over the filter. You can float some duckweed, wisteria, etc on the top and that will provide cover for them. Cheapest method would be java moss tied to a rock or decor using zip tie/fishing string/gum band.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I'm getting two portions of java moss, along with willow leaf hygro, to add to my tank, how long should I live the light off? and is it OK for me to do a water change so close to adding new fish? It about time for the weekly water change.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

-do the water change BEFORE adding them
    -Leave the light off a few hours to allow them to adjust 2-3
    -Keep your lights on a timer (roughly 10-11 hours on, 10-11 hours off)
    -IF you don't like the tank dark (with lights off) you can use Lunars for a night light (not beneficial to plants/fish, but makes a nice nighty light) for late night viewing.
    -Either float or tie java moss down
    -plant hygro in substrate (background plant), prepare for it to grow high (another words don't put it next to your filter intake where the leaves can be drawn in) and know that they require moderate light which is about 2+wpg

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

OK besides the water change FYI I know most of that, for the java moss i was plan to let one float and tie the other one down with some fishing line. so at lest two hours, dang but they don't really seem stress seeing how they are all swimming around happy as heck.

in two more days I get to see if my fixture my hardware store order will work withe wise.

that well give me 2+ WPG because the lowest lights I'm going to run is 3 15 watts, and the highest will be 3 18 watts. So with my need light I'm be good to go for a lot more plants.

Should I wait until tomorrow to do the water change seeing how I already add my guppies?

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you already added them I would put the water change off for a day, if they don't seem stressed you can flick on the light...I know you want to see them in color! Lol! I normally try to shut the lights out a bit when adding new fish.
    Don't forget to put a tiny pinch of food in for the newbies!
    Please post picts when/if you can..I'd love to see their coloration!

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I never turn the lights off when adding fish. :oops:

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I turn all my lights off in my room whole room, in fact the only thing giving off light in the laptop I'm using, after supper I'll turn the main room light on, then about a half hour I'll turn the tank little on. may be wait about ten minutes and add some food for the new guys.

I'll try to get some picture of them tomorrow when I can borrow my dad camera with out him knowing. the only problem I have is the photos I do take are like 1 MB in size.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Taps anthony on the hand and with her best authoritarian (big word) voice says you know you should to help alleviate(sp) stress on them. :)

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I buy stress free fish. :)