1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppies Dying After Birth (Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I Bought some feeder guppies the other day, 10 to be exact. I bought them with the intention of breeding them for my own feeders. I got three males and seven females. Most of the females werre carrying young. After 2 days the females started to give birth and now i have a ton of fry around the tank. But each day after a female gave birth she died. I did all my tests on the water and everything was good. They are in a ten gallon tank, at 80 F. Is this common, or am i doing something wrong?

2. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Re: Guppies

sometimes they have complications during birth, I had a few where the stress was too much. If the other fish attempt to chase the female around to eat teh babies while she gives birth than she will become really stressed and die. I also had one where a fry got stuck in the "birth canal" and stressed out the mother till she died. I also had 10 females when i started my guppy tank, I now how 7. 3 of which have given birth 3 times each lol. It may be somethign your doing and it may not be. You really can't be 100% sure either way....

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Guppies

OK thanks, i was going to go and get more tomm, but if it was something im doing i didnt want to kill any more.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member