1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hans Discus Fish

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MOD_Dawn, Oct 23, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

For those of you who've never seen a Discus fish...these fish are/can be absolutely gorgeous!
    I now understand why they are called the King of fish [icon_cool.gif]

When I first started looking into getting some two names were highly recommended... Hans & Jack Wattley. After thorough research and contacting both breeders I opted to go with Hans (imo nicer looking fish, better prices, and he came across as a "nice" guy).

Upon first contact to Hans in order to get an idea of his prices and shipping costs I was immediately invited to make the drive to Baltimore, MD and pick my own (but from where I'm located, that'd be 4+ hours one way and I simply wasn't feeling it). I was also given a private price/stocklist and given shipping estimates (both low end and high end while being informed that he offered 3 sizes of shipping boxes).

I did a bit of research to find out which petstores he sold his discus to and found a petstore in my area that was willing to order from him. In going this route I was able to get a better (cheaper) price than if I'd go there myself and buy directly from Hans.

The hard part was deciding which colors/types to get since I had never seen them in person ...the photos that became available were small in size and the fish appeared lightly colored and you were barely able to make out the details of the patterns. Basically I ended up ordering ALMOST 1 of each color type and selling off the ones that I didn't care for...my favorite turned out to be the Brilliant Turquoise (mine's such a pretty boy)!!

I thought being I had such a hard time deciding which ones to order (since I was unable to find any nice pictures at the time) that I'd post individual Photos of the ones that I have since they are all from Hans.

2. MOD_Dawn

These are actual Photos of Discus Hans fish,
    please feel free to add photos of your if they are from Discus Hans...just be sure to label what type/color they are.

Sidenote>>These fish can darken/lighten their colors at whim. I've come to learn that in a healthy discus this moreso occurs when Feeding, Mating, or Simply when Establishing Rank.

10-23-10 Blue Diamond.JPG 10-23-10 Blue Pigeon Blood.JPG 10-23-10 Darker Marlboro Red.JPG 10-23-10 Lighter Marlboro Red.JPG 10-23-10 Red Pigeon Blood.JPG 10-23-10 Silver Pigeon.JPG 10-23-10 Brilliant Turquoise.JPG 8-16-10 Dad (Hans Male Blue Turquoise).jpg 8-10-10 Mom (Hans Female Fire Red with Babies).jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

These are the result of a Fire Red mom and a Red Turquoise Dad...true colors are said to show anywhere from 6mos-1year (but with their orangish/red hue I'm thinking they may take after mom...I'll update photos once they get to a mature size).
    10-23-10 Some of the Older Babies.JPG

4. MOD_Dawn

Here's some Photos of Juvenile Discus that are about 3"
    21.JPG 100_0025.JPG 100_0012.JPG 100_0023.JPG Discus%20(2).JPG

5. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Hans does have the best looking Discus. I have 3 Hans Discus right now and they are by far the prettiest ones in my tank! Azalea Aquariums here in Richmond sells Hans Discus but he is really high priced. Baltimore is less than 2 hours from my house so it may be worth a trip for me one day.

6. MOD_Dawn

Hey, how's your discus doing?? (loved to see some photos of them)

7. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I know this is WAY off topic but how are you getting from Richmond to Baltimore in less than 2 hours?