1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

hello everybody im new here any cichlid lovers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mike, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mike

mike Thread Starter New Member

Hi I have cichlids but I can't seem to ever keep the tank clear any ideas? [banghead]

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Hello Mike, when you say keep the tank clear are you referring to cloudy water?

3. mike

Yes it will clear up some times but they are wastefull when eating and I have to clean the bottom every 2-3 weeks along with filter changes

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

How often do you do water changes? What are your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte readings?

5. mike

I change out 10% monthly sometimes sooner ,filters get rinsed of surface waste weekly and changed monthly and I have a bag of carbon on the bottom of the tank. I only have a ph kit I need to get the ones you mentioned

6. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Do you keep African Cichlids or South American Cichlids? I keep Africans and my tank is crystal clear. 25-50% water change no less than once every 2 weeks. I used to keep SA Cichlids and I had problems with cloudy water once they started to grow. That could happen if you are overstocked. What size tank and what are you keeping in it?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I do 25% every 10 days welcome MIKE

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome... yeah you need to specify region of origin with the term "Cichlid" refers actually to a family of fish that have 2 sets of jaws... (1 inner and 1 outer)

My avitar is a Cichlid... I keep Discus.. Totally different than say an Oscar (also a cichlid) or any one of the African Cichlids

9. mike

I have a 30 gal. With four african cichlids, 1 jack dempsey,1 I think I called a green terror w/blue lips and a big spot on his mid section and beautiful orange tipped fins,1 that is red w/blue spots on the fins and all over and finally the little guy that is all yellow w/a black line going all the way down the middle of the top fin all bought at the same time but range from 2" the yellow one to 5" the green terror

10. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

The yellow fish with the black stripe sounds like a Yellow Lab. Cichlids get pretty big. Sounds like you are definitely overstocked. More water changes may help but again, with the fish you have you will need a bigger tank. The africans do ok with the Jack Dempsey and the Green Terror?

11. mike

Yea I figured I was overstocked once they started growing,hopefully after taxes I can get a 125 gal. They all seem to get along somewhat great together the red one is the most aggressive. I read the tags at the store did the math on how many inches of fish I would end up with at full growth and with the rule of a gallon of water per each inch of fish it worked but clearly the rule must be for guppies pun intended!

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Its a good rule to follow with community fish. All a matter of experience and opinion if you ask me. Everything i've read about Ram Cichlids says you need no less than 20 gallons for 2 fish. Not sure if you've seen these fish but they are quite small. I have 2 in a ten gallon right now doing great! Cichlids are territorial fish. Especially the africans. The more space you give them the better. South American Cichlids require even more space. I had a 55 gallon tank with 5 South American Cichlids and wasnt able to clear it up until I took a few out. They get really big really fast and your water will stay cloudy if your tank is overstocked. 125 gallons would be a great tank for those fish. I would still separate the South American's from the Africans though. Try stepping up your water changes. No less than once a week. Also may help to change the carbon in your filter. If your tank has been up for a while 1-2 water changes a week should do wonders for the cloudy water. Try a 50% water change and see if some of the cloudiness goes away..

13. mike

Thank you very much for the info! Which ones do you think I have are south american. Also the green terror has an infatuaion with destroying plants while the others could care less rather use it for shelter. That doesn't help the tank either. Could plant food be causeing any cloudiness?

14. BobV

BobV Member

yes plant food (extra nutrients) could cause the cloudiness. It causes a bacterial bloom. I used to get that after adding liquid ferts. I'd recommend you feed less, fert less, and do more frequent partial water changes. Personally I do 25% weekly in each of my tanks. Regular partial water changes is the key to good fish health and clean tank.

15. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

The Green Terror and Jack Dempsey are SA Cichlids. They may be ok with the africans right now but I would keep a close eye on all of your fish. Once they start getting bigger they may not mix well.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hello and welcome to THE EXOTIC FISH forum Mike: our friendly & family oriented forum that focuses in on the proper care of wet pets.

We're glad that you’ve found us and can only hope that you make yourself feel right at home with the rest of us ;)

[help] If you find yourself needing HELP at any point and time please feel free to contact:
    -> myself - Mod_Dawn
    -> our site owner- Anthony
    -> or our administrator- Jake
    ...and we’d be glad to assist you in any way that we can.

[*]To get started I suggest you first create your Profile by clicking the “My Profile” which can be found at the top of the screen just below THE EXOTIC FISH logo.

Forum Index | FAQ | Search | Members | My Profile | Calc | Twitter | MySpace | Donate To TheExoticFish

Once you’re in My Profile you’ll find various "Options" that will enable you to create your own unique forum profile.

-> Please note that your avatar should be no larger than 120x120 pixels and any photo/photos that you post to the forum will need to be below 400kb.

[*]Afterwards, you can follow the link below to our Photography / Video section and post your own photos / videos if you have any readily available!
    Aquarium Photos - Show off your Tank Forum

[*] Finally, you can browse through the topics and add your own experiences or thoughts & even post your own unique topic!
    ------------------------------------
    As for the cloudy water, I'd get the basic test kits...api freshwater master (liquid) is a good one and find out what your readings are & if they are "steady". Wondering if the tank is fully cycled or going through mini cycles (but with the lower end of water being changed I'm hesitant to think mini cycles would be your problem).

Are you adding a dechlorinator such as PRIME just before adding the fresh water? and are you swishing the media in the tank water (to salvage the bb)?

As others have already told you ...the tank is overstocked so I'd go with higher water changes (myself I'd go with 40% every 2-3 days until you can lessen the bioload on that tank)...that in itself may correct the cloudy water.

What are you feeding and the frequency your feeding? (excess nutrients could be to blame too).

17. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome...

18. mike

Thanks 4 the help;)

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

pm received
    Reply:
    first, for the marineland cartridges on an average stocked tank they should only need rinsed/replaced on average monthly. You definately want to overfilter any tank...so ignore the gph that they CLAIM the filter will handle and go with the biggest one you can fit on the tank!
    I have both hob and canisters..I prefer the canisters because I can talor the media and am not forced to purchase the store cartridges that your pretty much stuck with if you go hob. I have Rena Filstars and absolutely love them ;)

Your good on changing out the carbon every 2-3 weeks...ps. just a fyi on the carbon:
    never use in a tank that your adding additives such as medicine or chemicals (plants additives, bio extract, etc) because the carbon will remove it.
    Most won't use carbon because of it, but it is good for removing meds-tannins-and odor.

You should only need PRIME alone...I always suggest treating for the entire tank volume-remove the dirty water...add the prime for the entire tank volume...then add the clean water.

I suggest doing a 25-30% water change weekly (will keep your nitrites/nitrates in check). Pick a day of the week that's easy for you to remember.
    For example..I go with Thursdays since my water company adds extra crap to the water on the weekends.

Food..I'd suggest using a variety instead of the same staple regularly. If your dealing with cichlids I'd suggest Danichi, New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula, Hikari Sprirulina (frozen spirulina infused brine shrimp is really good), etc
    3-4 times a day..no more than they will eat in say 20seconds (if your feeding dry food you can use a automatic feeder to make it easier to feed them more often). I know Eheim Digital one is a good one...Usually on Ebay you can score a new one wayyy cheaper than the fish stores.

20. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member