1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello everyone!!! New 55 gallon!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fiji, Jul 28, 2013.

Do you own a 55 gallon or larger?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fiji

Fiji Thread Starter New Member

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to set up a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium but I have some questions:
    1.compatibility... I'm not quite sure if all of my fish will go well together: 4 Cory catfish, 1 African knife fish, 5 boesemani rainbows, 1 angelfish, and 1 dojo loach.
    2. Filtration... Is a fluval 406 enough filtration for all of these fish?
    3.lighting... I am using a regular bulb that comes with the hood but could I attach a small blacklight to turn on at night?
    I am open to any other suggestions or anything I could change, but I am NOT putting african cichlids in the tank. Thank you.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Hi welcome to the forum. Your stock looks fine but the knife fish is going to grow to about a foot long and at that size will consume your other fish rather quickly, I would think about adding a few more loaches as well as a few more cories as these normally do best in groups, I would think about not adding the knife fish. Your filtration will be plenty for the tank. Your lighting will be fine unless you are planning to add plants, you can put the black light on but I don't think that it is going to make any difference in the tank are you wanting to do this to make a moonlight effect?

3. Fiji

Yes I want the blacklight to make a night effect. Dojo loaches get to about 8-10 inches so that's why I only picked 1. I can put more cories. Is there any cool-looking solitaire fish I could put in instead of a knife fish? Thanks.

4. HBIC

That depends on what your definition of cool looking is.

5. Fiji

I forgot to quote "cool looking", sorry . I am looking for any fish, that gets about 5-8 inches, and isn't a pleco.

6. HBIC

The problem I see is that a fish that is 8 inches in length is going to make quick food of your other stock.

7. Fiji

What about something like a firemouth cichlid or pearl gourami?

8. HBIC

I wouldn't suggest a firemouth but a pearl or any other of the gourami species (other than the giant variety) would work.

9. Fiji

I think I'll try a pearl gourami or blue gourami, which ever is in stock. Thanks

• Like Like x 1