1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

:D hi everyone! I am new here. So to tell you a lil about myself. I am 26 yrs. old I graduated in 2004 with my Bachelors Degree in Aquaculture and Aquarium Science from the University of New England.... in good old Maine, US. From there I have searched for aquaculture jobs or even starting my own facility raising a few different kinds of shellfish(which I hope to someday). I have worked at a few different places all labs related job and now i work for a company that makes telecommunication cables to connect countries together... not really fish related but i have always loved fish. Its a great job working 3rd shift and it allows me more time with my son...also i am saving to get a home of my own someday soon and then after that ... i want lots of fish!! It works out great b/c i had my son while i was in college and now he LOVES fish almost as much as i do, an angel after my own heart, :D even to have a fish farm in my back yard would be awesome!!! [dancing]

well that is a lil about me... hope to talk to you all at some point
    hope everyone is doing welll!! ;)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish. [dancing]

3. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome...

5. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

how did you end up going from going to school for aquarium science, and end up in a job making telecommunication cables? just curious

6. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

hi! welcome! jealous of your education and future employment ideas :)

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome:)

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Well I started off going to school for marine biology to study the microbiology of everything and ended switching to aqauculture b/c of my advisor and it worked out and I loved it. Needless to say I am in quality control in a lab testing cables for a company b/c it is good work and i am hoping to network with people and hopefully someday work in a facility dealing with my degree... for now i have a good job and it is a good base to jump off of if i ever change my mind.

9. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

very cool It's always good to have a good job and a jumping off point. I was in school for a year for networking at ITT. As the classes progressed I began to realize that LAN and WAN, and setting up networks in offices etc. just wasn't me (and I also realized that the ITT I was going to was an absolute joke). Now I've begun to realize with owning aquariums, and the fact that I'm absolutely obsessed with them, that I want to own my own aquarium store. I really have nothing to jump off from, but it's something I really want to do. It also helps that my girlfriend and her sister want to do some form of pet store/grooming thing as well. Their father owned a deli/convenience store at one point, and they helped him in ever aspect with it, so they know business quite well even if it isn't dealing with deli. Everything just seems to be falling into place to well for it not to happen.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

that is awesome, i think my ulitimate dream would be to have my own aqauculture facility with shellfish and possibly as a non profit have a small aquarium that people could come and visit. Something not to have to sell fish b/c i would have the other facility but to have something everyone could enjoy.

Yea i loved school and i realyl enjoyed learning everything about aquaculture and how tos of everything. we even had a classes at the aqaurium in boston... we got to see them and help with putting together the Jelly fish exhibit and we got to see alllllll the behind the scenes of taking care of the fish and critters in the place... i miss going to school now but it is nice to have a steady job and a place where i can save a lil bit.

on a side note i used to work in walpole ma... at seimens medical... interesting place :)

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

lol it's a nice little town, route 1 is interesting... (the auto mile) but at least they have the new newbury comics in norwood (down the road from walpole). As for the jellyfish exhibit, my gf and my friends went and saw that! lol

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

its awesome, I got some amazing pictures of the Jellies... i love jellies lol...

yea rt 1 was always a fun time lol... i used to take it as a "short cut" on the way home... which is in portsmouth NH lol i worked there for 3 months and i was like i have had enough i can't drive this any more! I was only a "temp" working in their Quality Control department as a product support techinicain... i learned a lot there but i knew that i needed to find a better job closer to home.

13. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I dont blame you. 1:30 drive for temp work would be rough!

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea taht was rough... but now its only a 5 minute drive so it works... close to a good school too, i was thinking about going back for my microbiology degree and really get a aquaculture facility going