1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

HELLO FROM GRANITE CITY, IL.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wimberlyt, Feb 25, 2009.

1. wimberlyt

wimberlyt Thread Starter New Member

Hey there guys and gals! I'm somewhat of a newbie at this. I currently have a 10 gal. freshwater tank (currently cycling with no fish yet) but am getting a 29 gal. Any help will greatly appreciated.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish. What do you plan on putting in the tank or is that what you need help with ?

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome, please make yourself right at home. Questions and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

5. Angus

Angus New Member

:D

Welcome to the forum!

6. Amante_di_Betta

Amante_di_Betta New Member

7. wimberlyt

I've had 10 gallon tanks in the past and failed, this time was no exception. I decided to give it one more try and bought one a few weeks ago, got it set up, added the stuff to make water safe and added 2 red mollys, 2 black mollys and a pleco. After a few days the water got cloudy. It started to clear when we started turning off the light at night but got worse and the fish started to die. After the last fish died I emptied the tank, washed everything and resetup the tank (It's Cycling now since Sunday). I'm planning on getting more fish this weekend. I am getting a 29 gallon in a couple of weeks and plan on transferring the fish from the 10 to the 29. I've had a 29 in the past and had good success with it but sold it to my room mate when I moved. So, i've decided that I TOTALLY SUCK WITH 10 GALLON TANKS! :x Any Ideas?

8. Amante_di_Betta

The only thing I can think of, is maybe some of the stock you've been getting is bad. Or something is wrong with some of the equiptment youre using.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You were leaving the light on 24 hours in the beginning ?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Smaller tanks are harder when it comes to stability. Just make sure you test the 29 with a freshwater (assuming your not doing saltwater) test kit to make sure everything it within norms before adding fish. Also, start slowly and build from there.What are you planning on keeping in the 29g?

11. wimberlyt

We kept the light on all the time, it makes a great night light lol. I'm really sure on the fish yet. I know I want to get some neons, but I've problems with them being so small that they stuck to the filter tube and die.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

keeping the light on constantly will stress out the fish, and grow nuisance algae (not sure if you were aware).
    Sounds like you have a powerful filter..pre-filter sponge (althought I've found that it hindered my filter with the one I tried.
    Are you going with color, community, species?

13. wimberlyt

I know now LOL! I'm thinking some neons, tetras, tiger barbs, danois. Something along those lines. I notice that some of you have snails. I was told by my old roomate that snails are bad for a tank. Oh, my tank is freshwater.

14. Amante_di_Betta

Neons also arent the most hardy fish, you may want to let your tank run (cycle it for awhile before adding them) and again, remember they are a schooling fish and do enjoy being in groups much like cories or otos.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Depends on what kind of snails....mystery snails are harmless (have them in my planted tank)...I have tetras (serpae are gorgeous)...danios make great dither fish (have both giant and longfin zebras)....neons are good in a school (6)...and tiger barbs (had them and found them to be too nippy).
    Sounds like your getting along the lines of a community tank?

16. wimberlyt

I guess so. I'm looking for a variety but I want color too. I'll probably get a 29 gallon kit but should I replace the 29 gallon power filter with 55 gallon one. I want the tank to stay crystal clear.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yup, go for the overkill (you defin won't be sorry there). Most say 5x the gph...so for a 29 that would be about 145gph (keep in mind that the ratings are without media and they are mostly exaggerated).
    If you want low noise do canister...if you don't find some water splashing go hob.
    Also, can add plants (they actually work like a filter)...and fast growers will munch the extra nutrients that can cause blooms.
    For color I'd do something like mine maybe...Fancy MALE guppies at about 4 or 5 (no females, you won't have the room for the fry)..plus the males are the ones with all the color, small school of tetras about 3-4 (hi-fin serpae get gorgeous), school of the neons to bring some blues into the mix 5-6, maybe 3 of the smaller corydoras (albinos will be easy to spot), and maybe like a dwarf gourami for your "show" fish.

18. wimberlyt

Thanks for all the great advice. I was thinking of turning my 10 gallon into a saltwater tank with a Finding Nemo theme, but after reading the posts on starting a saltwater tank I can't afford it lol. Not on my salary. So I may turn it into a guppy tank. With a few shrimp added. If the shrimp don't work, I pull out the cocktail sauce. Just kidding!

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha! 10g as a saltwater would be a nightmare! I mean I know from experience with a 55g it took daily testing to maintain stability, I couldn't see doing it with a 10g...to small of a water volume unless you want to be doing constant water changes/testing/salt mixtures/etc.
    10g would be a sweet grow out tank ...or planted tank with shrimp.

20. wimberlyt

Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Time for bed. I've got a full day tomorrow.