1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello from Northern CA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I happened upon these forums while trying to get my oscar a bigger tank on craigs list. Has been a great deal of help more so then the pet store. I look forward to the expert advice to my questions. Thank you for having me.

My tank is 29g with a fire belly oscar and a pacostamus (spelling?) both are too big. Is hard to messure them but the oscar is abut 11"-12" and the other is nearly 14". I feel bad for them :(

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish.

You're right, that tank is waaaaay too small for both of those fish.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Welcome was the pet store the one that advised you that it would be ok to keep them in there or was it lack of research on your part? I'm just curious and am not in any way trying to attack you

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Both I would guess, I herd some were that 1" of fish for 1gal of water wich seemed odd to me. The "guy" at the pet store told me they would be fine in there. I had a male also and he didnt last too long maybe 8 months. His scales started coming off not sure what was going on. I have learned my lesson for sure, I intend on getting a larger tank or finding good homes for my fish. I can't stand to see them like that any longer. I didnt do any research on them so in the end it is my fault for not knowing what I was getting into.

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Oh I see. Hope you get them a good home or larger tank then :D

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The old 1" of fish per gallon rule. In very few cases is that rule valid. First thing I always recommend, and I know it's not possible every time due to where people live, is to find another pet store if the "fish guy" is recommending you, for example, keep an Oscar in a 29 gallon tank.

That being said if you want to keep him you should be looking for at least a 125 gallon tank. If that's not a possibility finding a good home for him is the way to go.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I was planning on something that big or bigger. What if any thing could I put in there with her? She is very aggressive but the paco is bigger so he/she is fine, they duke it out every now and then but no real issues ( sure make alot of noise though ).

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome! First off, is the other fish a pacu or a pleco? (does it look like a huge piranha or does it look like a log) The aggression issues are definetly stemming from the cramped quarters, I like to use this analogy, imagine if you and your brother/sister/wife/husband/whoever, were living in your bathroom, for say 3 years at that size, this will give you an idea of how these fish feel. Once I find out what the other fish is I will be able to recommend you a tank footprint and tank mates.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

not sure on the name, it's a "sucker fish" not a pacu for sure. I dont know much about fish at all I just know this inst a good situation for them.

10. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome to the Exotic Fish and Thank you for joining us!

Anthony is correct that 1" of fish per gallon "rule" is so far from reality it isnt even funny!

Some fish you can overstock to that rule and some due to the size of the fish, the tank needs to enable the fish to move..... plus give it room for a territory.

An Oscar in a 29 is a death wish for that fish! I disagree with Anthony and think a 75 gallon tank would be OK, (barely) for 1 single oscar.... a pair requires the 125..

Is that a Pacu or a Pleco? A Plecostumus is a algae eating fish were the Pacu looks like a Pirahana. I think you meant a Pleco.

If so, a Plecostumus can grow almost 2 foot long (not quite but around a foot and a half in an aquarium) They need space to turn and swim. As they get older they almost stop eating algae and continue to eat what you are feeding the Oscar "meat" (that is what is in Cichlid Pellets sorta...)!

Oscars are quite territorial and will attack any other Cichlid that is in the territory. Even breeding becomes touchy with them as adding even one YOU KNOW is the opposite sex can cause one to get killed (usually the female, BUT they are both highly aggressive!).

I have had an Oscar that was almost 14" long. I had to move him to a 55 gallon aquarium where he was barely able to move. I felt bad. Now I had him in a 125 but he forced the female to jump out of the tank as they always would fight over the territory.

You finding another home or providing a larger one would be the best thing you can do for that Oscar, if the tank did not already "stunt" the growth of it.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How big will a oscar get? The tag at the pet store said 12"-14" and this one is nearly 12" so I cant imagine I stunted its growth but I dont know. Yes it is a Pleco and nearly full grown at 14". This might sound harsh but I am almost glad the other one didnt make it. I couldnt imagine another oscar in there.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Fine Lemon, disagree with me then ! :)

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It would have to be a 75 with nothing but the oscar and gravel. Also, most oscars are aggressive towards each other and not so much other cichlids, in my experience, however, the other fish I keep my oscar with can hold their own against pretty much anything.

Now I feel like we should talk about filtration, water changes, and whether or not your fish have HITH.

14. LemonDiscus

Those 2 are almost full grown.... I cant imagine you got them that big in a 29!!!! You MUST be changing you water ever few days :)

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Apperantly we just grow em big in my house, my cat is bigger than most small dogs lol. I am looking for all the information that I can possibly get on takeing proper care of these fish. I dont expect you all to tell me everything but if you could point me in the right direction for information that would be great. Any idea on what I should look to spend on that size of a tank 125g+ ? Thank you

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Used I would look to spend about $150ish+- depending on location. New I have no idea, I've never priced a 125 new.

17. LemonDiscus

499 Glass only for a new 125 (that may have been a 150 gallon :confused: )

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Huh ? You paid $499 for a new 125, maybe a 150 gallon tank ?

19. LemonDiscus

No, I was looking at them..... and I actually think it was a 150 as it has the same footprint as a 125.... UPGRADE!!! :)

I paid $100 for mine glass and filter only

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. :) Upgrade and don't tell the wife. Tell her "No honey it's not taller you're just shrinking.".