1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello from Northern CA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

ok, so then a 150g for $100 is a good deal then, thats tank only what do you think the rest of the items needed will run me?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Filter, gravel and lighting... Basic lighting should run about $60.00 online. With a 150 gallon tank I would do an FX5 or maybe two XP3s or 4s. Gravel won't run you too much, maybe $50 depending on the depth you want.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

what are the dimensions on the 150? I would do more than just 1 fx5, maybe a HOB or two

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would do powerheads if the FX5 was used since it's a large Oscar.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

lmao :) She may buy it too!!! Except for the scratches :confused: And actually the 125 is almost taller than both of us with the stand I made....

6. LemonDiscus

Oh and Oscars like sand.... They "play" in it all the time..... get pool filter sand from walmart, lowes, or home depot

Just be sure to rinse at tank temp first

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Is there any other type of fish that I could put in the tank with her? Would be nice to have more than 2 in a tank that size.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

A bit behind, but welcome.

9. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

10. LemonDiscus

Yes you can have 2 Oscars in a 125-150 BUT you have to have 2 females or 1 male and 1 female.... 2 males will kill each other.

The problem is sexing them... there are some minor visible differences such as color, pattern and size.

Males are very patterned usually with slightly duller colors than the females. They are also wider and larger.... again you HAVE to really know or you have to vent the fish. It would have been better to start with 6 young ones and wait til 2 pair off then remove the others.

The 2 that pair too can be 2 females.... another thing to keep in mind

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, so I have been doing some research on tanks. My next question would be, were do Oscars tend to swim? I know some fish are mid tank, some are top, etc... If I got a tall tank would I be able to have different fish whith them or do they need the whole tank? I did see a post here saying that some cichlid's do ok with oscars, is this an option at all? I have yet to price cut glass but I think I will build my tank if the price is right. I am a general contractor so I am confident I can do it. I did a lot of research on how to build them last night, stayed up way too late looking but I want to do it right. Thank you.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

To add anything in with the Oscar I would think the fish would have to be close to it's size and the tank would have to have ample space to support them.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I will be doing a full cleaning of the tank this weekend so I will post some pics of my fish before they make it a mess again. Seems I only get a day or 2 of a nice tank before they tear it apart lol.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So then my next task is to figure out what will get to be the correct size, I could use the 29g to get them to size before I put them into the bigger tank. Thank you all so much so far for the help on this. I wish that I had taken pictures of my father-in-laws bosses house in Nashville. This man has some of the nicest tanks I have ever seen all SW with a large pond in his back yard. He had a number of tanks that were 10' in length 4' tall and 2' deep roughly. There was a post of a "fish room" on here and that reminded me of his house. The whole down stairs (3 story house 6k square feet) was full of tanks, was amazing.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't recommend keeping the fish in a 29 gallon tank until they're of size to be able to be placed with the Oscar. Often fish that grow up in a tank too small are stunted then grow to full size and have internal problems which will greatly shorten their life and health.

16. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I think the Oscar needs a tank of his own. Trying to mix fish with that guy won't be easy giving his size unless you purchased a female Oscar his size

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I think that would be best. Or if you really wanted a mixed tank trade that guy in for store credit or try and sell/give him to a good home.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks, might have to rethink some things then and do a bit more research. I appreciate all the help thus far.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what the forum is for. ;)

Someone else may have another idea or suggestion. I don't keep Oscars due to their size so what I can suggest is limited.

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

male and female oscars generally kill each other