1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello From So-cal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi, my name is james, i currently do not own a tank or fish, but i am looking to purchase my first set-up and was wondering if anyone can help me =P. I was thinking a 20-30 gallon tank would be a good starter/keeper. Also about what fish are not extremely hard to maintain but Great to own.

James.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to Aquarium Space James.

Are you looking to start a planted community tank or something else ?

3. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Welcome James

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Welcome,, ^^ Like Anthony said what are you going for community 1 kind planted not planted ? :)

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Probably a planted one. What would you suggest for a beginner.

James.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Depending on what type of fish you'd be interested you could even do a 10 gallon.

7. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Welcome welcome

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Well i realy like pleco's, Green & Red Terror Cichlid, But i know the plecos are on the medium-large side. Still unsure exactly what i want, still need to do some research :D .

9. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I started out with a 5-7.5 gallon and a planted 30 gallon as you can see in my siggy :)

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can count most cichlids out, especially the two you listed. You could do some shell dwellers but I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner.

11. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome.... Planted tanks are difficult and adding fish to them makes them more difficult. A beginner planted tank is somewhat of an oxymoron. And the larger the tank you pick out, the easier it is to keep stable and the more choices you have on fish.

10 gallon tanks are almost worthless for anything.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So after poking around online i found a post that said would be good for a beginner, Just wondering you'r input and or changes to it. This is said to be good for a 30g tank(i think if i were to do this it would be with a few less fish to start).

3 velvet sword tails, 1 male, 2 female
    6 female bettas (To keep the swordtail population in check)
    8 of one of the tetras I listed above
    5 cories, your choice of species
    1 dwarf pleco

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well that's not something I would do but that's me. I wouldn't place 6 female bettas together due to their aggressive nature.

What I would recommend would be to go here and look at the fish they offer. Figure out what you like and see to the right what size tank they recommend. Live Aquaria.

After you've found some you like we can let you know if they can be mixed with other fish you like from there etc etc.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Cool, will do. Thanks =)

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sterba's Cory, Bleeding Heart Tetra, Candy Stripe Pleco, Marble Veil Angel, Betta. Those are a few of the fish I like and are around the same water levels/ size.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay. If those are the ones you like you could do about 5 of the cory cats (They generally prefer a group), the pleco and some of the Bleeding Heart Tetras. I wouldn't place the betta and/or Angel in with the other fish you like.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Awsome thank you, also (sorry lots of questions from a newbie XD). What exactly do i need to run a good clean healthy tank. I've seen things saying Filter/heater/pump. ive seen some filters say they pump. getting kinda confused... Any suggestion on a good filter/pump/heater set-up/system :confused:

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Anthony maybe we should do a sticky of what our members tank sizes are and what they use to filter them?

CIK I think you mentioned a 30 gallon tank, if you want to follow the same procedure I and a few others like to live by, and thats turning the tank over 10x an hour. Meaning that you should get a filter with a 300 gph rating, or a couple filters that have 150-200 gph.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Good idea Nelson. We can do that in the "General Discussion" area.