1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

hello!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, cheaper in VA. It is, I just don't know anyone with reef tanks near me so I rely on the stores. I have one place I go to weekly and they treat me well and order anything I need/want.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

that make it much much easier..i've maybe found a handful of people around the area other than a few other boards generated out of the vermont area..and a few from way over LOL but even some of them are a bit pricey...i had a huge anenome was bought as a seabea, turned out to be a purple tipped something or other LOL...but i bought that and the 7 lb rock for 90$ from a lfs..so i mean they arent always horrid w/ priceing but in this area we dont look for huge colonies, we look for small items as they all grow to be ocean size anyways..but i have seen some " frag packs " from fellow reefers that made my mouth drop...

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow. See I could have purchased 7lbs of live rock and the amemone for under $60.00 in VA. I ordered the majority of live rock online then purchased a few select pieces from the fish store for $6.00 a pound. If the anemone looks like mine, I paid $10.00 for that.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

" wow " and see i thought i got a heck of a deal LOL...now i'm debating puttin the guppies in the 10 gal..and using the 55 ( i think LOL) as a salt water set up.. i know that larger is better but i maintained a 10 gall w/ perfect parameters for 4.5 years...so i figure i'm good to go...or to buy another tank sink 1000s into it..or what i really want is to just purchase a set up prematured etc for someone leaving the hobby...now to get me some good deals in vermont..thats a miracle...wish those prices were same here..so are u i vt now? or VA? live in both states?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, with saltwater they suggest larger tanks because they're more "forgiving". I started out with a 55, then had two 10 gallon tanks later on. I never had any problems keeping the 10's where they should be. Larger saltwater tanks do require more $$$. I've put over 3k into my 30 long in the short time I've had it.
    I'm in VT now. I used to live up here but moved down to VA about 6 months ago. I was visiting my grandparents for New Years.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

plan a move back? i agree they are more forgiving bigger..with the expenses however some just cant..i would prefer a 180 but will most likely have to settle for a 75/90 gall as priceing is everything..its a great hobby, a bit pricey but well worth it, my children have learned so much and that makes it even more worth the while

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Move back to VT ? Possibly, but not sure yet.

It would make me sick to actually know the total I've spent on tanks in the past few years alone. :)

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh i hear ya...wow that would make me cringe! i love vermont..hate the snow/cold but the area i live in is just great..peaceful...i have a rabbit sanctuary ( 28 to be exact) so the land and peicefulness is just awesome! almost as relaxing as the tank...

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I love the snow, not so much the cold but that goes along with it so I deal with it.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i agree comes with the territory..i still dont like it tho. but on the other hand the kids do ( we've 1000 acres so they like to go walking with the dog..) and i put the rabbits in the run on the land so i guess i kinda deal with it also..

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow 1000 acres. I bet that's nice ! In NC we have 20 acres.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

its not to bad..small organic dairy farm...loads of farmland along with great trails even vast trails, so we all go a walkin' keeps the kids busy LOL and they see all kinds of wildlife including bear, i've yet to see one but we've heard that there out there.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Have you seen any moose ? I've yet to see one.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i actually have..a cow ( female) out by our secondairy farm..got close enuff for my likeing to get a pic...was very cool, we also have deer pass right in front of the house. we had 3 babies playing across the street it was awesome..

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think I'm going to have to take a drive on Moose Alley to get a chance to see any.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

it was interesting really i still prefer deer..hubby ran across a moose while gettin cows early in the morn..he was with the herd LOL...was a shocker!

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

here is a pic of my old set up..i'm also lookin to see if i have the moose/deer pics uploaded to photobucket...
    ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y124_2old4this12_100_1536.jpg

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Eh, I see deer every day down in VA. A moose would excite me. :)

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks like you have quite a few different corals in the tank. Nice clownfish. ;)

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i no longer have the tank, bummer...thanks tho..i will again i swear if it kills me!! i'll go thru the disks...and see what i can come up with...