1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

hello my name is jay just got a 75 gallon tank it has been running since nov. 17th i have in the tank about 35 pounds of live rock 30 pounds of live sand one clown fish skunk cleaner shrimp also six starter fish had a tang that my wife got he got sick is no longer with us.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum. You should add a lot more live rock to that tank.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Hi there jayt welcome

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

good morning to all

hello my name is jay. i got a graet deal on 75 gallon tank that came with stand hood premier series 125 wet/dry also sealife systems skimmer the pumps that came with it are rio 2100 for the return and a ca 2200 for the skimmer also two T-12 lights dont know if theses lights will work to start a reef tank i paid only $100.00 for all of it in great shape so i put in the tank to get started 30 pounds of live sand about 30 pounds of live rocks it been going from nov 27th. my wife about 3 weeks ago come home with a blue tang he way doing fine. 1 week after got a clown fish on afriday sunday cleaned tank glass added ro water to sump for top off on monday tang was full of black spotts tang is no longer with us dont know what went wrong. info please jay.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

For reef tanks T5 and/or Metal Halide are what should be used. I hate to say it but if you paid $100.00 for two T-12's you overpaid, a lot.

Are you doing water changes on the tank ? Every two weeks or once a month is what most reefers do.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sorry i paid $100.00 for the hole set up. and i have not done a water change at all . the fish store i go to said not to till there is something wrong with the water . dont know and how can i find that light set up at a good cost .jay

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. Good deal then.

If your fish store is telling you not to do water changes until you have water chemistry problems then you need to find another fish store. You ALWAYS to water changes on fish tanks, both fresh and salt.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks! about how many gallons of water needs to be taken out of a 75 gallon tank for the water change,also do you think the wet/dry and skimmer is ok for now.and thank you for your info. and time. JAY.T

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

For saltwater I would recommend about 20% every 2 weeks. Since your tank has been so long without a water change I'd recommend a 40% change this time. Also, are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, and calcium ? There are other things to test for but their not as important unless you have corals in the tank.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yes twice a week i go to the only fish store by me .they tell me every thing is where it needs to be. and is a 40 percent water change about 30 gallons of water.should i use mix or natural sea water thaks jayt

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, 30 gallons would be fine. You'll want to mix your saltwater to match the salinity in your tank.

13. ira

ira Member

Welcome

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thank you. whats going on