1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alicea, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Alicea

Alicea Thread Starter New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am very new to the aquarium world. I currently have a 30 gallon community tank. I have been gifted a used 75 gallon tank. How do I clean the used tank? Then how should I stock the new tank?
    Thanks!

2. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations on inheriting a new 75 gallon aquarium! Sorry to respond late as we've reopened this expansive resource!

I'm assuming that you're talking about a 75 gallon freshwater tank and not saltwater. What's great about a 75 gallon tank is that it provides you with many options not typically available in smaller sizes. How you want to stock the tank is really up to you but I'll give you some ideas.

Some people love large fish and that's certainly an option. I do find that the semi-aggressive fish seem to have a great deal of personality and, at least to me, I find cichlids can be quite fascinating. Many also love discus which can also add gorgeous color to what is usually a more muted set of colors and tones in freshwater aquariums.

Of the favorite fish for large aquariums, I'd have to say that Oscars are very popular. They can recognize their owner and have often been affectionately compared to dogs of the fish world. They have a lot of personality but are also quite territorial. You'll likely only be able to keep them with a few other larger fish or else those tank mates will become dinner. These fish can grow quite large, even up to 10 to 12 inches and some have been known to be even a few inches larger.

I really like the Clown Loach although you'd really should get them in some small numbers. They are really beautiful and also have a ton of personality. I'm not sure if a 75 gallon would keep them at full adult size but it may be a long way to get there.

Regarding cleaning the tank... I've never used bleach and think it can be quite dangerous. I have used vinegar, salt and baking soda. And I've washed out the tank vigorously and thoroughly before use, also allowing the water to soak and absorb any residue before pouring it out.

I don't know if you've proceeded yet but would enjoy hearing how you stocked your new 75 gallon tank. Congrats!