1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Help! Brown spots on everything

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by chunkslabdog, May 26, 2011.

1. chunkslabdog

chunkslabdog Thread Starter New Member

All of a sudden I have brown spots on my plants, rocks, and even the front glass. I have checked the water quality and all is okay. What is this and will it hurt the plants and fish?

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Does it wipe off easily, sounds like diatoms to me. How old is the tank, is it relatively new? Diatoms are usually caused by a build up of silicates in the water column. This can be caused when setting up a new tank or even when adding silicate sands as substrate. It is harmless, just unsightly, and should dissipate with time. Just wipe it off everything and then do a water change.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

2nd the diatoms...

ai56.tinypic.com_2efq8us.jpg
    View attachment ai52.tinypic.com_erfmef.jpg

4. chunkslabdog

chunkslabdog Thread Starter New Member

Mine doesn't look like the pictures...yet....I made a water change yesterday and it appears to be getting no better but no worse at this time.