1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Help me design my 40 gallon tank's new layout!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

So, guy! I want some help getting my 40 gallon looking good. So, I want you (Dawn, lol), to help me. Strait down to exact location of the plants and which filter to use.

Lets start with what you need to know about who/what will be here. (Images attached to show what I'm talking about. They are all taken from the internet, mostly because my fish move too fast to get even a blurry image of them.)
    -----
    Least Killifish
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_40gredo_Heterandria_formosa_1.jpg
    Small fresh to brackish water fish native to the southern part of the United States. Mine are descended from wild caught fish I got myself. The water way I got them from was blocked off to build a road.

Ramshorn Snails
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_40gredo_ramshorn.jpg
    Reddish snails that will eat nearly anything. Mine were obtained from my high school Biology teacher. Reproduce very rapidly, population difficult to control. Guppies will eat eggs sometimes, but very rarely.

Red Cherry Shrimp
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_40gredo_red_cherry_shrimp_swimming.jpg
    Small reddish shrimp with a great behavior of searching out and eating algae. Also eat anything available. Bought mine on the internet.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_40gredo_algae_eaters_9.jpg
    Small cone shaped trapdoor snails. Very active at night, but during day enjoy shifting through the sand. Don't harm plants. Are considered a good indicator of poor water, as the will clime the glass to the surface. Otherwise you may never know they are in the tanks. Bought mine off a guy on ebay.

Scuds
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_40_20gallon_40gredo_scud.jpg
    Small crustaceans, often the base of food chains. Great scavengers with a taste for fish waste and other foods that the other will not eat. Ordered from a fellow on aquabid. Plan on ordering more. The ones I placed in tanks got eaten too fast to reproduce.
    ------

I need help deciding what kind of plants need to go in, and where to add them. For now, lets start on building the list of plants. So far I have Java Moss (on drift wood), "Amazon Sword" I got from the pet store, and some Anacharis. I'm going to have a mostly sand substrate, and a little bit of gravel mixed in from old setup.

I don't like artificial decorations, and the only thing I have in there is a archway rock and the wood.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

is it a 40g tall 36x12x21 or 40g long 36x12x21 or 40g breeder 36x18x16
    First, I need to know your pH and your total wpg of lighting to help you choose plants accordingly...
    But I'd recommend doing/getting this stuff First :
    [*]I'd recommend a glass canopy for the tank to prevent jumpers
    [*]Heater preset to at least 76F (if your backgrounds black get a black one to "hide" it)..if your buying a canister filter then get a hydor inline one (less equipment in the tank means more room for the inhabitants).
    [*]Substrate you have already...do a minimum of 2" and if your planning on rooted plants I'd add some flourish tabs beneath the substrate about 1" away from where they are going to go.
    [*]Lighting, assuming you have this already?? (need to know twpg if so and bulb type)
    [*]Filter (can come after the plants)...do you want an in tank one to hog room, a hang on back one that sometimes can't be customized media wise, or a canister that will sit outside of the tank?
    [*]Background (not necessary, but nice)...cheap way is to pick up a can of spray paint such as krylon fusion and spray it...I like the black (easier to hide the equipment ime).
    [*]Decor (I know..natural)..Driftwood...malaysian if you want it to sink without mounting it to slate using a galvanized screw. Maybe a mineral stone like what I have for calcium for the shrimp and snails. I can link you to the seller I got mine from (Ebay: livingreefimports) ~Tahitian Mineral Rock ...photos of it can be seen in the 20gL thread.

And 1 question, do the least killifish pose a problem with the cherry shrimp (as in eating them)?
    Because if so, you may want to put a divider in place and keep the shrimpys from becoming hunted.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ps. after a quick research on the least killifish you may want to section just them due to eating plant matter and crustaceans (your snails and shrimp)>>

4. MasterBlue

For the most part the Least Killifish don't actually eat my shrimp, and they do less damage to the plants than the shrimp. I do have "Titan", a super sized female, she has eaten a few of the young shrimp. I'm not worried about it. In fact, I'm happy the shrimp are there. The Least Killifish is what the tank is set-up for. 40 Gallon Livebearer Planted Tank <== The tank I'm redoing. 24tall 36long 13wide. I have a glass top. And a canister filter sitting outside. I just gotta figure out how to get it running. This tank and all the eqipment came second hand from a family friend. Been sitting for at least a year, so I brought it into my room and set it up. I've only added the drift wood, plants and animals to it.
    The scuds are also used mostly just for food. But they ARE in there.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

that's a odd measure for a 40g.

if you can post photos I'm sure we can figure out what equipment you have and help you figure it out.
    I take it there's no name on the canister filter?

Ps. Did you swap the wal-mart shop light bulbs to plant appropriate ones (Wal-mart carries them too..I think they are g.e brand). If not you'll want 6700K - 10,000K with 6700K being more ideal, but 10,000K defin. being a more bam in your face bright! Put it on a timer for 10 hours ;)

oh, and still need pH to assist ya with the plants and your twpg (how many bulbs and what wattage is each bulb).

and do we want a highly planted tank...or moderately planted?

6. MasterBlue

I like a lot of plants =3
    I think I'm going to go for shorter plants, so there is alot of open water (so I can catch and see my fish =P )
    Not looking forward to keeping the Anacharis trimmed... I hate the look it gives it, but it's gotta be done, right?

7. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Why would you have to keep anacharis?

8. MasterBlue

I like it =P It's just trimming it I'm not a fan of.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Couldn't sleep so I thought I'd give ya some plants to consider...

Plants for the front of the tank:
    1)Anubias Pygmy Nana (these guys are tiny ... think thumbnail size)
    2)Cryptocoryne wendtii (green/ red should use iron) ... look nice in groups
    3)With HIGH light MicroSwords (if you like the grass look)
    4)Echinodorus quadricostatus (gives ya spotted grass look...these guys "chain" and will branch out here and there)
    5)Dwarf Sagittaria subulata (kinda like #4)
    6)Marsilea quadrifolia (a tank full of this would look really nice...think a bit taller 4 leaf clover)
    7)WITH HIGH light Hemianthus callitrichoides (might not be what you want, tight and compact...good canopy for the shrimp, but you might not see them often).

Plants for that pop of color:
    1) Red Tiger Lotus (can see picts of it in my 90g...not dosing with anything and the plant is keeping the pinkish/red color)
    2) Echinodorus Indian Red
    3) Ludwigia repens Broad Leaf (get's tall, but has red oval shaped leaves)
    4) Rotala wallichii (bushy stem - pinkish/red-orange in color)

If your thinking smallish swords:
    1) Parviflorus V. Tropica (love these guys, full-small-bright green and ez)

Something a bit different:
    1) Zephyranthes candida (smaller version, onion bulb w/ grass like stalks)
    2) Crinum thaianum (larger version of #1)
    3) Cladophora aegagropila (moss balls...shrimp love them...good for sucking out the nitrates too...remember to squeeze them out when you do your partials)

Perfect to mount to driftwood/lava rock:
    1) Bolbitus heudelotii (no one will eat it)
    2) Hemianthus micranthemoides (if you like the clover look)
    3) Microsorium pteropus...sorry, never really was a fan of java fern

:) if you want a visual of these plants you can google images or goto aquariumplants.com

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Egeria densa (anacharis) are water weeds... good for providing extra oxygen though.

If you have small bunches keep them towards the back where you can let them get somewhat tall -think back corners of the tank...
    -or-
    if you have enough and really love them you can make a canopy across the back wall of your tank with them-presto...instant background! also, you can use your clippings and replant them to thicken the back canopy to give it a bit of depth/volume ;)

11. MasterBlue

I can't sleep either >>;
    Anacharis was my first aquarium plant =3 So, it's here to stay.
    Thanks for the list ^^ I'll look them all up in a bit. Also, I'll post an image of the filter.... I still can't get it to actually run >.>; I mean, it runs, but the water suction isn't working right. It might have broke when they were moving it of something?

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

once I see a photo, it's quite possible I may be able to help (with the canister that is).
    canisters usually are pretty simple...canister (box like) holds the media and contains a magnetic impeller that when powered should spin..and then usually there's an intake and an outake that runs off the top using tubes/hoses. Intake should be sucking the tank water in (should be able to feel slight suction if it's in the tank and you put your hand under it)..outtake should be pouring clean water from the top of the canister back into your tank (water that has already been processed through whatever media is in the canister-clean water).

Try testing it over a bath tub or something such as a rubbermaid that has water in it...that way you can open it and check the impeller to make sure it's seated/spinning. When you plug it in do you hear the motor running?

13. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

with these measurements, i'm comming up with that your tank is 48.62 gallons.

14. MasterBlue

My measurements might be off some, but thats about right >.>; I might have a 50 gallon then? lol
    It was given to me, and I was left to decide for myself the size, so yea...

@ Dawn
    It moves, but I can't get all the air out and get the suction going. After I do the water changes for the day I'm going to get to working on it.

15. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

When you are trying to prime it do you have both the intake and the output underwater? Try taking the output out of the water and letting it prime that way.

16. MasterBlue

I managed to fix it. There was a ball of hair cloggin the water flow... Man, trying to explain to my step dad why I needed his expensive power drill was the bigger challenge =P
    It's running fin right now outside in a bucket.

Eheim 2217 is what it says. I'd take an image, but the darn camera is broken...

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Glad it's running for ya.
    Here's a parts breakdown--> http://www.eheim.com/base/eheim/pdf/en/ersatzteile/afilter/2217_classic_GB.pdf

a Petsmart link with info on it

and here's a bit more about it:

18. MasterBlue

Its done a wonderous job of cleaning the mud from the water I put it is! =c

19. MasterBlue

OK, with filter working now, I want to focus on the next topic. What sand should I use?

I like the idea of black volcanic sand, but with my connections to Hawaii being distant realtives of a friend, I think I'll have to settle for something else. Any suggestions? (I'm a shorta cheap when I can be kinnda guy, but if I gotta pay alot so be it. Keep in mind that fish I have are copper brown and black)

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

SUBSTRATE:

A) I'm a HUGE fan of Eco-Complete Planted (the black one being it looks natural, awesome for plants, softbelly safe, doesn't muck with your tank parameters... and you don't rinse it-just toss it in). You can see photos of it in a tank throughout my threads and in Anthony's since he's using it now too.
    Usually runs about $20 for a 20lb bag at the petstores in my area.

1) (dtpetsullies) Not sure what they'd charge to ship?
    http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/pr ... ts_id=9655

2) (Petco)They have lots of great coupon codes over the web and are running 15% off and free shipping on $60 or more until the today (22nd) -->
    http://www.petco.com/product/111998...-Aquarium-Substrate.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

B) (Petco) has this listed..sounds similar to the eco-complete, but not sure as I haven't seen this product in my area yet.
    http://www.petco.com/product/111994...=LN_Shopping_FishSupplies_GravelandSubstrates

C) (Google) IF you really want black sand then I'd suggest CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand (won't muck with tank parameters, soft belly safe, and extremely fine - tightly packed...HOWEVER, it will do nothing to help your plants and it may be difficult to plant into it being it's heavy/tight packing).
    You can go here and see a tank I did with the tahitian moon sand for the African Cichlid

http://www.google.com/products?q=CARIBSEA INSTANT AQUARIUM TAHITIAN MOON 20 LB.&oe=UTF-8&scoring=p

D) (SuperCheap Route).. would be a massive bag (I think 50lb) of PeaGravel from Wal-mart which would run you about $5.00
    -or- Play Sand (that is silca free) which will run about the same for a large bag
    -or- Pool Filter Sand (that is silica free) which will run just under $10 for a large bag
    Downfalls of sand...have to be careful not to stir it up (playsand/poolfilter sand) and get it in your filter which will bring it to a grinding halt, a bit harder to vac during partials without sucking it up in your siphon, have to rinse it really really well and even then you'll probably end up with some clouding and unsettled pieces that will need to be netted out before turning your filter on.