1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hewwo =^.^=

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by toxxxic.kitten, Sep 7, 2011.

1. toxxxic.kitten

toxxxic.kitten Thread Starter New Member

I was researching about some things about Tiger Barbs (I will post my question I have in another topic in the proper section) and stumbled across this forum. I am a part of a Cichlid forum, but they are dedicated to Cichlids and I was looking for a forum dedicated to tropical fish. :) SoOo...here I am!

My current tanks consist of a 3 gallon with a beautiful red male betta & albino bristlenose pleco, a 12 gallon with 6 Tiger Barbs & a 40 Long that I'm in the process of setting up for Cichlids.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum. We're Cichlid friendly too ! Hehe

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome, Welcome...glad you found us :)

You have a betta AND a bristlenose pleco in a 3 gallon? How'd ya manage to fit a piece of wood in there for it to rasp?
    <--Loves the bristlenoses & breeds them too ;)

What kinda cichlids are you putting in the 40L? If you're planning on doing rockwork and smaller ones the texas holey rock works/looks nice in cichlid setups (Africans).

4. toxxxic.kitten

I actually didn't know about rasping. I have had normal plecos in the past and never have had any sort of wood in their tanks. I will definitely look into getting some smaller pieces of driftwood now, knowing that. I have a friend who always has driftwood in stock.

I haven't decided yet what exact Cichlids I'm going to put in the 40L. I was thinking about Shell Dwellers or perhaps Peacocks?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I hate to say it, but 3 gallons isn't enough water volume..even though bristlenoses only get 4".

The best thing you could do is to move it over to your 12 gallon and considered that tank fully stocked.
    Then you could add either a piece of driftwood or even a small piece of cholla.
    Bristlenoses HAVE to have wood to "rasp" on as part of their diet..that and algae. If you don't have algae you can easily supplement his/her diet with Algae Wafer Tabs (Hikari brand is a good one) and mix it up with some occassional cucumber/zuchinni slices, or even canned no sodium FRENCH cut green beans.

Then you'd have your 40L left to stock, which will give you lots of options. Can't help you there, as I did africans a good while back and once they sized up it turned into a slaughterfest :(

IF your a fan of color what about a nice colony of Pseudotropheus Demasoni, Snow White Socolofi & a couple Labidochromis Caeruleus for that splash of color? For Algae your bristlenose pleco would fit right into the mix without an issue as long as it isn't a longfin/albino (albino's get picked on more since they are easier to "spot"/"target").

IF your budget concious, try pool filter sand for substrate...maybe a nice light blue background (think plastic party tablecloth)...and some nice rockwork (which is where the cost comes in) like the texas holey rock stacked (or drilled and made stable with pvc/zip ties).

6. toxxxic.kitten

Thanks so much for the information. :D

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

np anytime hiya

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.