1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hi from Nebraska

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by chickadedede, Sep 30, 2010.

1. chickadedede

chickadedede Thread Starter New Member

Hi, I've been keeping fish off and on for a few years. I moved to Nebraska about a year ago and none of my fish liked the move, so now have a cycled 20 gallon high that's ready for fish, but I'm having trouble deciding what to put in it. I've had a few bettas, Endlers (still can't believe I managed to find them), Cory Cats, Java Fern, and far too many pond snails. I'd like to do more with live plants when I can get a decent setup.

I don't know if I'll actually post on here much, a lot of these discussions are a bit out of my league. I'll be reading them, but I don't know if I'll have a lot to add.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to dive right in (everyone was new at some point of the game)!

Reading cycled 20H that your thinking of planting...if your thinking of going fully planted begin with a good substrate. I ALWAYS recommend Eco-Complete Planted (the black that looks like dirt).

Another quick recommendation if you like the "natural" look would be to get yourself a nice piece of driftwood for your centerpiece (I try to find either a "sinkable" type aquarium safe wood or grab myself a piece of slate and a galvanized screw and make my own weighted base).

Sounds like you've already started with some of the easier to care for species (bettas/endlers), are you wanting to stay with the hardier/easier fish and interested in a variety moreso rather than a specific type/species of fish?

>if your planning on a lot of greenery I can think of a few things that look really good against that (Rummynose Tetras, Glow lite Tetras, Neon Tetras, and even Harlequin Rasboras).

>Something Bright if that's your cup of tea could be something like a Dwarf Gourami (the Dwarf Honey Gourami & Dwarf male Turquoise quickly come to mind), Cherry Barbs, Cardinal Tetras, Rosy Barbs.

>Some that are (at least to me) fancyish with longish fins would be Hifin Serpae Tetras, Hifin Tetras like the Black Skirt-White Skirt, longfin zebra danios

>and peaceful algae eaters for planted tanks (if needed & dependant upon what your keeping) could be a single bristlenose pleco, otocinclus catfish's, and corydoras make great bottom feeders!

And here's a wonderful calculator to assist you with stocking :)

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish.

5. chickadedede

chickadedede Thread Starter New Member

Thanks Everyone!

I've seen compatibility charts before, but nothing nearly as useful as that calculator.

I've got a few questions, but I think I'll put those in a different thread.

6. nossie

nossie Member

Welcome!! Don't worry about feeling uncertain about the "level" of these threads, I know a whole load about goldfish and their keeping and diseases, but really, here I'm quite lost :'D I do know the basics about marines and tropicals, but really... not very close to this! Still try to add my 5 cents here and there, so don't be afraid to do the same :)