1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hiya!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 27, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Hiya! My name is Dawn and I've been actively keeping fish for quite awhile now. I'm currently located in PA & I've pretty much had almost every kind of fish known to man at one point of time or another. Currently, I am starting up a 90 gallon freshwater planted tank with a fish! This will be my first planted tank (at least the first one with over 3 plants in it..Lol!). Advice is definately welcome ;)

One of my current setups consists of a 90 gallon all glass covered with glass canopy.

The tank is lighted during the day with a Coralife Freshwater Aqualight(4X65Watt 6,700K)... set on a timer for 10 hours a day. During the remaining hours I have Lunar lights set on a timer which light the tank during the night. The lunar lights I am currently using are One Current USA Lunar Light which is linked to FIVE Lunar links (all blue). I mounted the Lunars directly to the Aqualight using their supplied screws and a drillbit to pre-drill the holes (can't remember the exact size of the bit, but it was paper thin!).

My water is heated with TWO Rena Filstar 300watt heaters that are set to 77F. I monitor the temperature both by a digital display and sticker thermometers that are placed at the top right and bottom left of the tank.

For filtration I am running a Rena Filstar XP4 with the top layer filled with BioChem Stars and Ceramic Rings made by Eheim, the second layer filled with Rena's Progressive Microfiltration, the third layer filled with Rena's 30ppi, and the bottom layer filled with Rena's 20ppi.
    In addition to the XP4 I am also running TWO emperor 400s filled with standard media in addition to Marineland Black Diamond Carbon.

I'm still waiting on my Gamma 25 watt UV Sterilizer to come in :evil: .

For substrate I am using CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate, I have it at aproximately 3" in depth.

The only product I use to elminate the "baddies" in the tap water is Tetra Aqua AquaSafe.

I currently planted the tank with a diverse variety of plants and am testing out the Nutrafin plant feeding sticks with them. I would say the tank is in the medium range in amount of plants. Some of the plants that I currently have are Anubias Nana's, Vallisneria Spiralis', Wisteria's, 2 unknown type of sword plants, Red ?Ludwigia's, creeping charlies, java fern, etc. etc. etc.

I stuck a piece of driftwood in the center (mounted of course since the wood isn't completely water logged), in addition to a few choice decorations for ample hideouts.

Currently somewhere in the tank hopefully are as follows:
    about 15 baby bristle nose plecos
    One Octocinclus
    One Albino Corydoras
    Roughly about 20 baby Cherry Shrimp
    Roughly about 20 baby Malaysian Trumpet Snails
    Two Bamboo Shrimp
    One Clown Pleco
    3 Blue Gourami's
    School of about 5 Serpae Tetras
    About 3 Neon Tetras
    3 Glow Light Danios
    About 3 long finned danios
    About 4 Black Tetras
    4 Mystery Snails

2. BobV

BobV Member

Sounda like a nice tank shaping up. Welcome to the forum. Where in Pa? I was born and raised near Pgh. is why I ask.
    Bob

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish. That does sound like it's going to be a very nice tank.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome!

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Hey there Dawn

6. MOD_Dawn

McKeesport Bob, right next to the burgh!

7. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

hello and welcome

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

hey dawn, your def. going to have to post pics when you take them....
    c-ya around.

9. MOD_Dawn

I promise, picts when I get a chance.
    I just picked up a sweet dolphin fish to add to the mix and a nice bunch of baby tears that were attached to a rock.

:) I could decorate/arrange aquariums all day! I just finished setting up a small 15 gallon for one of my kids. So far it's got a standard fl. light, a emperor 400 on it for killer filtration, a 50 watt heater, a 20lb bag of eco-complete planted substrate, a piece of shiny black fabric (thanks walmart clearance section $1.00 yd) for a background, and a few decorations. Right now it's got 4 white geophagus (sp?)..I forget their actual names...but it said they'll get up to 7"...and a polka dotted pictus or some crazy name. To me it looks like a catfish? He wants a tank with noting but all kinds of yucky plecos :confused:
    I keep telling him if he buys me a bigger house he can get one...right now I think i took up every extra inch for my 90..hehe!