1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do i prep driftwood for aquarium use & get it to sink?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I got some drift wood and i dont know what to do to put it in the tank as in make it sink or whatever.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You can tie or silicon it to a heavy piece of slate, or you can just place the piece of slate or rock on top of it until it becomes water logged and stays under on its own. Keep in mind that it may take weeks, months, or years before your piece becomes so saturated with water that it sinks. Also, the driftwood will leach tannins for the first few months or so turning your water a yellowish, brown hue. You can combat this by using active carbon in your filters.

3. Leslie

I wanted to place it in a tank i already have with fish. is that ok.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yeah that should be fine, just be sure you followed the procedure of sterilizing it (if you got it in the wild) or washing it if its store bought.

5. Leslie

i bought it off another site. they told me to place it in a bucket of water and let it sit. and it would be fine.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

If I were you I would either, boil it, pour boiling water over it, or bake it, before putting it in my tank. I try not to trust other people when putting things into my tank to ensure I dont pick up any illnesses.

7. Leslie

how long do i need to boil it?? and will it sink after i boil it??

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I would boil it for however long you see fit, minute or two should be alright to kill the bacteria, you can speed up the leaching process by boiling it longer. If you want you can soak it in hot water for a few days (changing the water every 6 hours) to further help speed along the leaching process.

9. Leslie

it isnt a very big peice how long do u think it would take for it to sink??

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I mean thats all relative to that particular piece of wood, if its a hardwood it may sink right off the bat, also if its been in the other person's tank for a while it might already sink.

11. Leslie

it is Manzanita drift wood. wasnt in a pirior tank.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have a piece of manzanita that has been in one of my tanks for almost a year and it still has to be held down with a rock:)