1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do I properly clean/maintain my aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

how do i clean my tank??
    It has been a really long time since i keep fish. can anyone please remind me how to clean the tank. it is empty and i want to get it back up an into shape for some new fish i plain on getting. if i put this in the worng place please let me know.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You posted in the correct place :D

There are several ways you can clean your unused tank.

The safest way would be just to clean it with hot water, baking soda and a scrubby pad. Make the baking soda into a paste and scrub it around. When you get all the residue off just rinse it several times. The baking soda won't harm the fish even if you don't get it all out of the tank.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

That's exactly what I do

4. Leslie

ok. my cusin told me i could use half a cup of bleach with a gallon of water to sanatize it. i told her i thought bleach would kill the fish once i put some in there. even if i rinsed it several times. how would i clean my rocks too?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Bleach is an option but make sure IF you do use it it's only bleach. I found out the hard way HE Bleach (The type for the new style washing machines) contains some sort of detergent also.

What type of rocks do you need to clean ? Substrate or larger rocks ?

6. Leslie

it is gravel and also some plants. i think there is a little figure in it too. would clorox bleach be fine? its really dirty and i just want my fish to live and not die from me skipping anything.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I've used regular Chlorox Bleach before and didn't have any issues. Just be sure to rinse it really well and then fill the tank up completely and do a 2-5 time dose of Prime or the product of your choice to remove the chlorine. I'd let it sit for about a half hour, stirring the water around every so often.

8. Leslie

ok. now that i got the whole cleaning the tank down. gotta find someone to move it for me ( cant lift 5 months prego) so i can clean it. what products are good to use to make it livable.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Congrats :D

What size tank is it ?

Do you want a list of products you'll need to get things started ?

10. Leslie

it is a 29 gal, but it is more tall than long.. yes i would like a list of stuff to use in it before i get any plants and fish.. ill let the water sit for a how ever long needed. thanks this is my 3rd baby.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay. Assuming you clean it with bleach...

You'll need Seachem Prime (It's the best). This removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. The best thing is that it can be used while cycling your tank. It will also detoxify nitrite, nitrate and heavy metals your water may have in it. It also has the ability to naturally promote the slime coat of your fish.

Other supplies you'll need...

A good quality food
    Water test kit (liquid, not strips) If you just keep basic fish this isn't always necessary.
    Filter(s) which you may already have.
    A heater
    Fish net

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but those are the most important that I can think of right now.

12. Leslie

ok. thank you. i know i will end up asking some other things. and can you tell me what the difference is in fish for the testing thing.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're very welcome. Feel free to ask anything.

The reason I said it depended on the fish was because if you just get average fish like goldfish or betta's there's really not much point in testing the water. They're very hardy fish (there are others like this too) that will adapt to almost any water parameters.

14. Leslie

ok. well since now you mde me think of another question. can you tell me if i can keep a betta in with other fish?

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Depending on the fish, yes. You just don't want something similar looking so they don't fight/kill each other.

16. Leslie

do you know of a good site where i can look at fish just to see what i might get??

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

18. Leslie

wow!! thanks!! now i want a bigger tank!!

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're welcome... It doesn't take much, LoL I ALWAYS want bigger tanks no matter how large the ones I already have are.

20. Leslie

well my 29 gal will have to do until i get a bigger one. how do you keep a brackish tank? i had a fish once and didnt know it was brackish and it died shortly later. i was so sad. i loved that fish.