1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do I transport fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

How to trasnport fish
    I am going outta state here in like 6 weeks. And i was wanting to know if i seen any fish i like how to transport them back home. It is like a 6 hour drive to get from where we are going back home. maybe longer. can anyone give me some ideas?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

if they are big fish like oscars,pikes,gars,catfish use buckets if you have fragile fish like discus,swordtails,etc give them away because they might stress its for there own good.

3. Leslie

i dont know what all types of fish would be considered fragile. and i would be buying if i saw some.

4. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

I've heard of discus traveling in normal bags for well over 18 hours and doing fine.
    The best way would be just to have them in a really big bag, or in a bucket (covered) like you would use for water changes.
    I've kept sensitives fish in buckets for about 3 days (big tank overhall that didn't work as smoothly as planned) with no problems.

5. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

you can always place them in a big rubbermaid, but a power supply for the car and place an airstone and a small sponge filter in there for the ride. they should be all fine (fragile or strong fish).

6. Leslie

if i got any fish they would be little and ther wont be any discus.

7. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

A bucket you use in water changes should be fine than.

8. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

make the store triple bag the fish in the biggest bag they have and make them but O2 from a tank in it not just blow in the end and tie it off.
    Then wrap the bag in a sheet of news paper and then in a brown bag or put it in a styrofoam shippin box.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

rubbermaids, and use those battery operated airpumps that are sold in the fishing section (wal-mart/K-mart). You can use one of those coverters that run off of your cigarette lighter to run a powerstrip and a heater too if your extremely worried. toss in a plant or a heavy piece of decoration for them to hide in for the journey to help avoid them stressing out. Add some stress zyme or similar to the water too, that should definately help!
    I've also seen those co2 tabs that will oxygenate your water while traveling? Not sure how well they work though,..never used them.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Moving
    I have a 75g and I will be moving soon. I have had this tank set up for about 5 years and it is a freshwater tank. I am considered buying a new tank and setting it up and just relocating my fish. What will be the best way to move my fish to their new home?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Buckets or coolers with airstones if its a long move. How long is the move?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It will be a 30 min. drive. I would like to buy a bigger tank and set up and just move the fish. My concern would be getting the water ready to handle 14 fish that are all 4 to 6 inchs. Maybe I am making to big a deal out of it but I just don't want to lose my fish.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

As long as you are using the filters that are up and running on the tank right now you should be fine, it will be like doing a huge water change. It would also help to use some if not all of the substate from the old tank. Your fish will be fine in the bucket for a lot longer than 30 mins without an airstone. So you should have time to set up the tank and get the fish in there.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for the help!

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm not sure what type of fish you have and how many but try not to keep them all in one bucket when transporting them.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Well I guess I don't need to start another post. I have the same question but i'm moving from Virginia to Texas. At least a 2 day drive (dogs/kids). I was thinking about having someone keep the fish until I get there then have them shipped overnight. Any suggestions?

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's an option, if they know how to package them. If they haven't done it before I'd be worried it wasn't done correctly.

You could bring them with you if you had battery powered air stones.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Rubbermaids, airstones, and luck!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

transporting fish from store
    can anyone tell me how long a fish will live in a bag for transportation, looking at buying an arowana, closest fish store that carries them is 2-2:30 hrs away depending on traffic... thnx for any info you can provide

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Fish are shipped in bags to the fish store normally on a weekly basis. They spend 12+ hours in their bag while being transported to the store.