1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how hard is it to maintain a saltwater tank???

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by blowfishRus6, Jan 22, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

i have a 75 gal freshwater and i have somewhat learned the ropes on keeping the tank clean and happy.

ive heard that a salt water is alot more work, needs alot of chemicals every week and is difficult to keep everything right for a salt water tank.

someone elighten me [cya]

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I don't think they are harder per se, they just need more tending to as far as water conditions.

3. blowfishRus6

is it hard to keep water conditions at what they need to be??

as far as more attending that not a big deal, sometimes ill mess with my tank just because im bored and want something to do.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

it's a balancing game and more delicate than a standard freshwater.

Definately takes more attention and work imo (have had both freshwater and saltwater)

And cost, well lets just say if you need somewhere to spend money..you can easily do so running a saltwater setup.

Like anything it takes patience and dedication, once you get the hang of it it's not soo bad and it all depends on what you plan on keeping in it also!

5. blowfishRus6

do the chemicals cost a lot to keep it going??? and does it require alot of chemicals??? that is the main things i have heard negitive about it, and how much it cost to keep it up and running.

i think salt waters have some amazing colors. i might davel into one on my next tank set up. start off small with a few nemo fish (or whatever there called :p ) and then over time build up some corals and what not.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

it's pretty much just the salt & prime to mix with your water and the time it takes to collect the ro/di water (if your going that route...which is the safest way).

I never did corals so I wouldn't know what their requirements/additives would be?

Costwise, the main thing is acquiring all the equipment first off...once you're over that hill...then you've got your live rock and substrate....followed by your additives (dependant upon what your adding..test kits...salt mix...prime)...and then you have the common costs such as water/sewage & electricity to keep it all running and have to plan for power outtages in advance of course!

Dollarwise I couldn't tell you, all i can do is generalize and say that when I did a 55g saltwater tank the cost was amazingly higher than I had originally thought it would have been & my biggest gripe was not having extra room to pre-mix my water for partial days and the amount of time it took to drip the ro/di water (and I had a very large unit).

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

This was what was on my 55g and today's cost for the equipment to give you a better idea, some of the equipment such as the hydrometer & Protein skimmer were planned on being upgraded and I was hoping to add additional live rock later down the road:

55g tank $108

55g stand $100.00

Rena Filstar Xp4 just to run equipment inline (heater, uv sterilizer, and protein skimmer)...today I'd do a sump and probably skip the filter about $170 new

Hydor External 300w heater about $50

Stick On Thermometer..I'd use the tom digital temp alert today though about $2.00, tom alert is about $20.00 (although I got my current ones off Ebay shipped for $10)

36w Coralife Turbo Twist Uv Sterilizer about $185.00

SeaClone 150 Protein Skimmer about $100 (I hated this protein skimmer..had to putz with it to find the sweet spot...but once I did it was okay and at the time I got this for next to nothing on Ebay)

Instant Ocean Marine Salt About $100 for 160g pail

Hydrometer...at the time I used a cheapo plastic one which is about $13, but now that I've learned they're unreliable I'd do a refractometer

or this one which is a refractometer for about $45.00

4 MaxiJet 1200's at about $20 a piece

RedSea Wavemaster Pro which runs about $142, but at the time I got this for next to nothing...which is the reason I went with the MaxiJet 1200's

Deluxe 150gpd Ro/Di System and Auto Shut off Valve which runs about $290 for the unit and an extra $16 for the shutoff
    I got mine from...they sold them on Ebay

Live Fiji & Tonga Rock/Branches (about 55+lbs) which I got at Elmers
    I'll go with the 45lb estimate at Petsolutions which charges $190.00

Deep Sand Bed using a mixture of Live Sand, Aragonite, and I can't remember the others

Lighting was Coralife Compact Fluorescent $250.00

Background was painted on with acrylic paints I found at Wal-mart..ran about $1.00 for a 2oz bottle

Glass Canopies which run about $50 @ Elmers

Siphon $10 for the cheapo's, but today I'd do Python No Spill Clean N' Fill which runs about $40 for a 25 foot one

Mag-Float 125 About $15

--------------------------------------------

:eek: About $1840, not including the substrate which was at least another $100.00 or paints

-> That doesn't include a quarantine tank..at that time I ran a 10g with live rock, Can't remember if it was my emperor 400 or a sponge filter, a hydor "in tank" heater, the same brand/type of light fixture-but for a 10g, and an oceanvisions black background with a stick on thermometer to monitor the waters temp.

I also kept a ziploc container in the tank with live sand because at the time I was qt a firefish :)

This was my tank at the time - a 55 gallon saltwater tank

8. blowfishRus6

jezzzzzz.......

what is the ro/di water??? does it need the skimmer??? does it need the uv light???

i would like to run a sump, plan on converting my 75gal freshwater over to that once i get the rest of my supplies.

would a simple filter and heater set up not work for salt water tho???

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

borrowed this rather than typing out-->

10. HBIC

No a simple filter and heater would not work. For a 75 gallon tank you for sure would need a skimmer as well as several powerheads. RO water is reverse osmosis, it is used to make water TOTALLY pure.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

as for the protein skimmer....some don't use them- I however definitely would!

What does the protein skimmer do?
    >Removes tiny particles of dissolved waste from within the water column that would break down into ammonia (ammonia=BAD) & helps to reduce the presence of nitrates (Nitrates=want as close to 0 as you can get it).
    The "bubbling" assists in providing oxygen, but an easy way to think of it is to think of it is a micro filter of sorts. Helps keep your water cleaner & stabler...which means healthier inhabitants and tank!

Also Keep in mind if you go with Rock (weather live or dead) you'll find that pieces/specs will break off and release baddies in your water- the protein skimmer will help in this area too!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Depends on what your keeping...and you'll more than likely need to add a powerhead to the mix unless the filter can circulate the entire tank preventing any possible dead spots.

and as you probably already know you would still need the marine salt, hydrometer, saltwater test kit, prime, siphon, thermometer, net, (basics)

Fish only requires a bit less, but if you wanted to do corals/reef you'll need more

13. blowfishRus6

totally pure water. so i could not just throw declorinated faucet water in there like i do in my freshwater tank then huh??? or could you get all the chemicals to make it pure (i put my water in a bucket first, treat it, then put it in) and do it that way???

seems like im gonna need to do a little more research then i orginally thought.

protein skimmer. what is it in saltwater that needs this. obviously its something in the water different than freshwater. or is saltwater just more touchey and cant take the amoniom like fresh water???? is there not corals or maybe plants or some kind of crab or something that would eat these particles and give back to the tank???

not that im against a protein skimmer, just there kinda pricey, i would need a larger sump bucket to acomidate for it. i guess im looking for a bare minimal set up. i could get things over time, just kinda curious on the bare minimal set up to get a saltwater tank up and running.

14. HBIC

A protein skimmer removes the excess protein that collects on the top of the water (I assume it collects due to the current that needs to be maintained in a saltwater setup). From what I understand no you can't use just tap in a salt setup. There aren't any chemicals that will do all this for you, unfortunately it is simply an expensive hobby.

15. blowfishRus6

jezzzzz. well then, idk.

maybe one day.