1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

I need help urgent!!

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Omega59, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Omega59

Omega59 Thread Starter New Member

setup my new tank 10 gals. Now I added 3 1 inch or so guppies, but now today my tank reeks of earth! I know I need to cycle, I just dud a 50% water change but it still smells. How many times a day do I need to change the water ???

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

How long has the tank been up and running? Does it have a filter?

3. Omega59

been running for 24hrs and yes it has a filter.

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I would assume this means it was not cycled. You are probably getting an ammonia buildup which will quickly kill your fish. Do a 50% water change daily.

5. Omega59

yes it is not cycled. my original idea was to do a non-fish cycle but "someone" decided to come home with 3 guppies :(

anyhow, i changed the water about 7hrs ago, i should do again?

6. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I wouldn't change it more than once a day. Have you tested your ammonia? You could also try adding some live bacteria to the tank to speed up the cycle... Another way that I have found works well is to take some water from another established tank and put it in the new tank. If you dont have another tank you can try some "Safe Start". How are the fish looking?

7. Omega59

fish look okay i guess, i read and was told those products like safe start and cycle, are pointless and do not actually work at all.

8. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Its worth a try if your worried about losing your fish. Just keep an eye on your water parameters. Especially the ammonia. Having fish in the tank will definitely speed up the process. You just might have some issues keeping them alive. I had 3 Zebra Danios that I used to cycle two of my tanks. They are pretty tough fish. My brother has them now. I'm not sure how the guppies will do. Good luck to you!

9. Omega59

okay thank you.

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Usually those nitrifying additives are junk but as has been said it couldn't hurt, also adding water from an established tank IMO is useless your just adding dirty water. If you have someone near you or an LFS you could ask them for some of their gravel or some of there filter media, I would be willing to bet the smell is from the tank not being cycled.

11. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

My brother recently added water from an established tank to a brand new tank."Without vaccuming the gravel from the old tank". Water tested out close to perfect. Not something I recommend for cycling new tanks but again, may help you save your fish. As for the smell i agree. Most likely due to the tank not being cycled.. How are your fish today? Have you tested your water today?

12. absntmnd69

absntmnd69 New Member

youre right bro...its been set up now for 3 and 1/2 weeks and no problem whatsoever. had an ammonia spike to .25ppm but thats it. ph, nitrates, nitrites, hardness all close to perfect. almost have all of my fish transferred over from the 48g corner to the 37g tall.