1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself I suppose....DIY Background

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by CichlidStorm, Apr 23, 2012.

1. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Thread Starter Member

I am starting, yet another, of my 3D backgrounds. It isn't rocket science, and I would like to show everyone how to do this properly to get the results you would like, the look that sets your tank apart from the rest, and the natural beauty only acheivable by this type of back ground. This is a work in progress, so as time allows, I will photo each step for you guys to show you what I am doing, and how I am doing it. This should make it very easy for you to do something similar and create the ultimate show tank.

Supplies:
    Tank - 55gal
    4 - 24x48, 2" thick styro sheets (10.00 at Homedepot)
    1 - small propane torch
    1 - black permanent marker
    3 - tubes of GE1 silicone (available at walmart for 3.47 per tube)
    1 - razor knife.
    1 - big darn vacumn (styro gets messy)

you will need to do this in a ventilated area...otherwise the smell is horrendous .

watch for pictures. I need to snap some to show what I started with, and where it is now, and each step in between.

2. CichlidStorm

sorry posted in wrong area..lol my bad

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no problem, I moved it for you :)
    Looking forward to seeing the end result!

4. CichlidStorm

okay, now that I have some more free time, I am going to start working on this more and getting detailed pictures to show each step....won'[t be immediately as my Race season is starting Sunday, but should be pretty quick once I get the engine rebuilt and back in my quad.