1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

I would like to try endlers

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Omega59, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Omega59

Omega59 Thread Starter New Member

But I read mixed things. If they are a guppy mixed breed then the fry they will produce will be sterile and that means no more fry :( is this true? If so how do I tell at the store if the endlers are guppy mixed breed?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Endler/Guppy hybrids will breed just as Guppies and Endlers. Most of the time you can tell the difference just by looking at them. Guppies males tend to be larger and fatter while Endlers are more streamlined. If I remember correctly there are a lot of Endler/Guppy hybrids up in Canada being passed off as pure Endlers.

3. Omega59

Omega59 Thread Starter New Member

darn i hope i don't end up with hybrids. thanks alot.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

lol seemed the right place to post this because so am I XD, hey Anthony how long do Endler's live for and where can I get pure ones from, seems yours aren't quite ready to sell yet but I wanna breed them too how long do they live for and how do you take care of your tanks? seeing as you raise them seems a expert is the best person to ask , will they get along with Platies? or should I get a seperate ten gal species tank for them? (gonna keep all fry i can catch in it to begin with)

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have males ready, just waiting on the females to grow a bit but they're what I would call "sub-adults". They should be ready in another two weeks. If cared for correctly they will live for years. I wouldn't keep them with Platies, especially if you want fry to survive.

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

it was my plan anyway, but the lady I called about it(supposedly a fish "expert" said that you could keep ANY livebearers together as long as they weren't aggressive) not surprisingly I think she sells feeder gubbies off as Endlers...thanks for the information Anthony I had a sinking feeling that she was lying so I'd spend my money at the store she works at, soon as the tank is ready I'll pm you about buying a few , if I'm lucky I'll have a ten gal and a 40 gal if not a ten gal, which will house endler's I've fallen for the little guys :D

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've heard of several people buying "Endler's" from stores and even some online sellers only to find out they were sold feeder guppies or hybrids.

8. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

that'd be a nightmare... :eek: lucklay if I ever accidentally get a hybrid my biology teacher has a tank with gubbbies in it.. I see no problem putting hybrids in there, less of a chance they'll pass on their genetics to pure endler strains, and I couldn't cull even if someone paid me too....

9. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

lol, I think I got one of those batches of Hybrids that were passed off as pure strains. Looking into them it seem quite likely. I suspected as so once the seller didn't respond to my questions after I received them... Also, they are starting to spit out less and less healthy looking fish... Some look identical to Endler's as in body shape, while the rest has the more charicteristic form of Guppies. Most of my males have a white/blueish line on their dorsal.

I expect to either cull or donate the majority of them. May keep a male to do a few cross breeding with, who knows?

Good luck, lol

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

maybe save some that look the most Endler and order some from Anthony once his are ready. just not all, I want a trio or 2

11. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

lol, I already am on the list =P We traded some fish, haha.