1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

i'd like to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My name is stephanie. my boyfriend and i have multiple breeding colonies of african cichlid. We havent been doing this very long, but we hope to grow this hobby into a business. I've set up a myspace page to display what we have available. The page doesnt really have that much information on it yet because i just started it, but if any of you are bored and would like to peek at our cichlids, be my guest.
    i hope you enjoy!!

My 80 gallon cichlid aquarium

2. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Hey there Stephanie! Glad you joined us here.

What size tank is that in your picture? It looks pretty overstocked

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome Stephanie. It does seem like you have a lot of fish in that tank. It looks nice but I fear it will be problematic in the future.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

hello and welcome dont know about the others but it seems that they are happy and health......people judge too quick they might change water every other day with a kick asre filtration system
    so every one just chill a sec it looks like they know what they are ding said multiple breeding

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That may be true but with the choice of fish in that particular tank over filtering and extra water changes won't solve the aggression issue they will soon face as the fish mature and grow. With a lot of those fish reaching 6+ inches each they won't have much room to swim and sadly will be more prone to disease from all the added stress.

Just offering good advise to a new user to help them in the long run. ;)

6. Jake

Jake Administrator

welcome i hope you enjoy your stay

7. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Hi:
    I just joined today and saw your pic of your chiclids. Beautiful colors. I use to raise Chiclids too, but they mulitplied to quickly for me so I found homes for them. Mine were the stripped chiclid. I love the colors you have. Good luck with getting your business started.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

alrighty just so you all know, this tank has been established for 4 years or so. My boyfriend and I got 3 tanks worth of fish at once.. They seem to be happy, and although some are pretty aggressive(like the Alpha of the tank auratus), but as long as we dont put any fish that resemble him in there he seems ok. Another thing is that the more overcrowded the tank, the easier the chaser looses the chasee in the crowd(or so i've been told). As for the tank, that tank is an 80 gallon.. We have a fluval fx5 for filtration. and we do water changes every couple days (about 30-35%).We also have a 30, 90, and a 100gallon tanks. Hope that clears things up....
    Please come stop by and become my "FRIEND"!! Thanks for reading!!

9. Jake

Jake Administrator

overstocking a tank does split up aggression but when your tank is too small for the fish thats where the problem is

cichlids need a large footprint they dont really need tall tanks they need long ones as far as africans go

how long is that tank

we are just trying to offer you advise that will help you out in the long run and lead to a successful business

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

We will eventually be splitting fish up into breeding colonies. But for now they'll be staying in their tanks. We already have 4 tanks in the house (that's ALOT of water in an apartment). They seem pretty content. We havent had any problems and the people before us hadnt either.. but the tank is a bowfront which is difficult to see in the pic. all of the fish have their own "home" in the tank, and we try to switch the scaping around pretty often so they can find new territories. Thanks for your concern, but they seem so happy i dont think we'll have problems with the combo... hopefully.....

11. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

see like i said they seem to have it under control

12. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

hey, nice tank!
    i just wanted to show off my overcrowded tank, i had a bunch of cichlids from african to south american and some oddballs as well in there and i never ran into a problem.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Nice fish! I cant believe you were able to keep africans and south americans together! We have some of each but we have separate tanks for them. It goes to show you that you never know until you try! Thanks for reading!!