1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

is it possible to mix american cichlids with africans ?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by smcpherson25, Jan 10, 2010.

1. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

im getting a 125gallon tank this weekend, big upgrade from the 55 i have now! i have a gold saum, jack dempsey, and a red devil. they get along pretty good, occasional flaring up at each other but nothing more. my question is has anybody had luck mixing americans with africans? i know most african cichlids dont get that big and most americans do, but are there some bigger africans that i could get? any info. on this, good or bad is appreciated.

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I'm not so sure thats a good idea. The SA's will most likely be bigger than the Africans and It probably wont end well for the Africans.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

They require two different water chemistry's I wouldn't try it, could be an expensive mistake.

4. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

you would be suprised, the africans actually bully the americans around.

i had a large jack dempsy (7-8in) and an oscar (still somewhat small) in my 75 with about 4 africans. my dominate male kenyi always chased the oscar around and would get pretty agresive, the bumble bee will sometimes mess with the dempsy because they kinda share the same side of the tank. but nothing ever to serious.

but the africans like to mess with other fish, they do it amungest themselves (they get teritorial and like to have there own area, and will chase each other around and at feeding times sometimes fight, but again nothing crazy serious) the africans can be pesky and there quick little things. sometimes the jack dempsy will get a little upset because they will keep messing with him and he cant catch them.

i think alot has to do with your tank set up tho, mine is more cattered to the africans, lots of little caves and what not so they try and mark there territory. when it was more open with not much in there, there was not as much aggresion.

so yes, i currently have both in one tank, but i kinda like the africans more, i have the tank more so set up for them, and they probably do stress the jack dempsy out some. hes a happy fish and comes out and plays, but sometimes i think he gets a little ill. (need a jack dempsy :) )

the kenyi africans seem to be the most aggressive. if it was not for the kenyi in my tank, there might not be any agression, he seems to instigate alot of it.

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

what size are your current fish? even though your getting a large tank imho your gonna have your hands full with the red devil once it's gets close to full grown. they are one very mean and nasty fish and dosen't get along with others. i would advise also not mixing american and africans.

6. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

the fish i have now are about 7inches id say