1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by nossie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. nossie

nossie Thread Starter Member

YO!

I've got this external power filter of mine up and running for about a month now, so far, I only rinsed the bottom foam pad when I removed the activated carbon after the first two weeks of use. Two days ago, I also added some vents to the intake and outtake hoses, thought that would make it easier to maintain and I could turn down the flow a bit for my fish (they got more active right away!).
    But I noticed that first of all, the filter was leaking from the top. Not by the hose, but where the "bucket" of filter media is attached to the pump. So I had to open the vents fully again. And now I noticed that even if the vents are completely open, the water is flowing only from half the outtake pipe. (You know that hard plastic part with holes all along it where water's meant to come out) What could be wrong?

When I added the vents, I only split the hoses and put them in between the two parts, I didn't remove anything. The problem is that it didn't say anything in the manual about adding these vents either |: At most how to connect them to the hoses, and I've got that figured out |:
    It's an Eheim 2217 6L filter. Rated for a 600L (while my tank is 300L). Any help would be nice! So that I'd know if I should exchange it for a new one.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Any chance you could post a picture of it ? I think I understand what you mean but I just want to be sure.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Is this it? <a class="postlink" href="http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=EH2213&child=EH2217&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=EH2217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem. ... ent=EH2217</a>

IF so, you can click the raised Support Tab and that will lead you to a pdf owner's manual that might help.

4. nossie

Yes, that's the one, thanks! I'll look into it :)

5. nossie

Now that I looked into it, it was the exact same manual that came with the filter, and there's simply no troubleshooting section in it |: But I guess I could check it out next time I'll do maintenance on the tank! Should be pretty soon anyway :)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

but the diagram shows you how to put it together (that way you'll know if somethings missing or done differently causing the issue).

If you bought it at a local fish store you can always take it to them and they should be able to tell you whats causing the issue or at the very least refund you and get you a working one.

7. nossie

Yep, I did check that, just in case :) I decided to check on it right now, disconnected it carefully and looked at all the parts, but there's nothing wrong and it keeps making pretty weird sounds. I made absolutely sure that it was properly filled with water before I turned it on (I let it fill itself through the intake), and still...

Guess the only thing to do is to ask in the pet shop then :D