1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

jon from lynn

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jonny123, Apr 27, 2010.

1. jonny123

jonny123 Thread Starter New Member

found the site on craigslist

i have 3 tanks going

20 gal runing 10 years
    15 gal 2 months
    40 gal 2 weeks

friend has a 80 gal bought 5 angel fish all the lil fish keept buging the angel was gonna flush hes fish so i took them all troypal nion tetras high fin ones ext my 20 gal over stocked i set a 15 to take some thats over stocked got te 40 hasnt really cycled yet on cl guy was geting rid of 2 sillver dollers about 3 1/2 round lol a big 4 inch catfish thing dont know how many i can stick in the 40 when it cycles been doing lots of water changes

im thinking of geting a 80 or 90 gal i live on a 2ed floor wondering if it suport that size tank lol

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to The Exotic Fish.

What type of house do you live in ? Normally that size tank shouldn't be a problem.

3. jonny123

avarge 1 family id say 60 year old home id be seting it up on an out side wall for more suport

4. jonny123

when water changing can you use plan old tap water or best to fill buckets let sit overnight as i been doing my 40 has undergravel filter 2 power heads a bio wheel hang on filter been runing like 30 + days 7 fish in it havent lost any yet wondering how many i should put in the 40 bigest fise i have the 2 sliver dollers 3 1/2 roundish and the cat the rest under 2 inchs

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You should be fine, especially with placing it against the wall.

Are you on well or city water ?

6. jonny123

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hi Jon,
    welcome to the forum :)

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can just add it to the tank and treat it with Seachem Prime and it will be ready to use right then.

9. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

welcome.

10. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Welcome to the forum ^^

I hate to say it, but I can't understand you. Please use punctuation. =(

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Welcome, The silvers can get bigger and depending on what type of catfish they can get HUGE! 40 gal may notbe bigg eough for the catfish. (they als have a larger bio-load) . IMO I wouldn't start out with more than the Silver Dollars and the catfish.(he may eat the neon) Do you have pics of the cafish to post? Pics are our best resourse to figure things out.
    You should be fine with up to 100 gal tank. I had a king size waterbed in a 3rd floor appt. with no problems. Just be sure you have a sturdy well balanced stand.

12. jonny123

im thinking my cat fish is a Striped Raphael Catfish. have a Buenos Aires Tetra i had to take it out of my 40gal with my silver dollers keept buging them. found i site with pics of common fish wont name it i see u all leave it blank lol. gut some mollys ones really fat fish food soon .was reading on my silvers im 98% sure i have a boy girl they always together hiding till feeding time then they hid again lol. ive alway only owned lil tetras i have some 10 years old black skirt type .my boss is a big salt water fish guy has 1 130 gal tank 1 120 gal 1 90 gal i help him out alot he just bought a 250 gal tank cant wait to set that up lol 2 are reef tanks one has a 2 foot ele lol. i get paid to play and clean his fish lol

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

That's great Johnny.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

raphaels are nice looking cats, they make that cool noise when you pull them from the water (had one before).

15. jonny123

my boss just bought a fish store about 80 tanks salt water tomorrow we have to move it all to his building gonna be fun lol. one of the tanks has a 2 foot shark anouther the coolest fish thing a cuttlefish ill have to take pics when its all set up

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

look forward to seeing the photos :)

17. jonny123

im looking at a saltwater 90 gal tank with sump converting it to freshwater anyone here ever use a sump on freshwater

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have a 90g freshwater myself, however have never used a sump (never had the room in the stand).
    All I know is that they aren't good for planted tanks...something about outgassing the co2.

From an article I read the person suggests if your using a sump on a freshwater to use it from plumbing your canister and uv into (freeing up the back of your tank). Also suggests using the sump for water changes and dosing.

I'm sure someone else will be able to chime in (hopefully with personal experience on this).