1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

justing saying hi from down south

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anonymous, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have been in the hobby for years now. I have breed a bunch of fish in my life time discus, angels, and Africans in the past and even today. my tanks range from 3-10, 55,175,365. I also have 3 rubber made containers that house fish too. currently on the list of breeding is yellow labs planning on a mass production of those for this year. also I have albino socolofi (spelling) and I'm also breeding jack dempsey's and working on for the future ebjd so if your interested in any of these fish in the future or have any of these fish and need help breeding them drop me a line. i also have a few extra fish and some misc. ones too..

andy

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome.... I am breeding Angels myself currently and "wishing" my Discus would do it. So far my Discus have came nowhere near pairing. They all fight and push each other around too much to care about spawning.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nice to have you here at The Exotic Fish.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lemon discus if you ever need any ideas for breeding your discus feel free to ask. I have done it for about 7 years. the first 3 was hard because i got the black plague 2 times and wiped me out. but I regrouped and started over and set up everything purposely for breeding I had alot of success to then I got kick out of my apartment and sold everything off no place to put everything in such a short time. when everything was said and done I started to breed angels those are easy compared to discus. But I was going to get back into discus again slowly, but then I moved down to florida and got into africans. no one down here has any really good discus and if they do they want way too much for them.

6. LemonDiscus

Any advice I will take! I have 9 of them all around breeding age and I dont even have any pairing showing! I have tried adding the cooler water, lowering PH, you about name it I have tried it. I dont know for certain even who is a male and who is a female. I have some ideas on who is what, but it is based off of speculation and not fact. For all I know I have a tank full of males!

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok the first thing I need to know what are you doing to your water. for the most part you don't need to soften it until they are ready to breed so don't waste your time softening it with RO water, until they are breeding, for the most part this is what I was doing. Ok I had about 20 fish in a 75 gallon tank. all or most adults. then I would do a 50 percent water change daily. temp is at 86 degrees and don't feed beef heart when they get large, I think the blood drains from the heart and fouls up the water. i use to feed only blood worms at breeding age unless they were not being breed then I would give them anything they would eat. no gravel in the tank and 2 plastic plants that I weighted down with a clay pot water drain. ( it looks like a plate) I left the lights on all the time and that's really it I use to use 3 inch pvc pipe that i cut to about 12-14 inches and that what i would let them lay eggs on. you will see shaking going on and when you do look for the reaction. the male will usually do it first the female will follow his lead. also I should tell you that most of the fish I would get to breed at around 10-12 months but for some reason the blue diamonds i could never get to breed until almost 22 months. that was the earliest. I have no clue why but these fish for some reason would never be in the mood to to anything but eat.

so get back to me and let me know what you have been doing and water parameters as well. also I have another way of softening the water instead of RO water. it's not expensive but it gets a little messy..

8. LemonDiscus

I dont soften my water, my water out of the tap is soft with no hardness! Lucky me!

I have 7-9 adults (1 is really stunted and I am not sure on the age of it and another) I KNOW that 1 fish is 2 years old, 2 are 1.5 and one is about 14 months. The other 5 am am not positive on the age but I am guessing about 10-14 months as they were "rescue" fish.

I feed Frozen Bloodworms (Hikari, 2-4 sections a day) and rarely feed the beefheart for the reason you stated.

The discus are in a live planted tank and do the shaking but it seems the ones that shake are doing it for the males?? i guess that dont seem interested.

I had 3 angelfish in the same tank and they all were having orgies in there!

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm no Discus breeder but I do know leaving the lights on for 24 hours a day, everyday ia a very bad thing to do.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

there reasons to do this but it doesn't hurt the fish. I left mine on for 7 years and all the fish were happy really happy. the fry benifit from the lights being on to. but it's a breeder thing.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's been proven that extended light has a huge effect on fish. They need dark to sleep/rest properly.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

never had a problem with mine and they would breed all the time. some fish maybe not the discus or angels i used to breed. as a matter of fact most of your breeders over seas keep there lights on all the time too. that's where I got the idea of doing it. there is a reason for doing it but I can't give away all my secrets:)

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ha, if you think that 24 hours of "sunlight" is good for your fish keep on stunting their growth and shortening their lifespan. Also, about breeders keeping their lights on, most breeding for exportation is done in ponds.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Welcome:) nice to have you with us

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Hello,
    Started with a saying hi to "tips on breeding Discus".
    I breeding discus early this year and had one successful batch of leopard skin but I can't duplicate it. I know someone (locally) who was a retired professional Discus breeder in the early 90's and tried to start breeding again (for fun) but failed (4 years and going). His theory is that the Discus on the market are from Asia which are full of hormones. I will try your advice and see what will happen.

Do you keep you pair separately or together in a community?