1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LED fixtures?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MasterBlue, Oct 14, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I was haveing trouble sleeping last night, so I was thinking of stuff I could do myself...
    Well, I figured I could make my own led fixture.
    Might not be as pretty, but so long as it works I'll be fine =3

So, anyone think this is a good idea? If so I'll take images and explain how and why I did it!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've heard of people making them but never actually seen picture of the process.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, heard of people making them too (ie. using led christmas lights and similar)

If you don't want it pretty I'd think it would be fairly easy...pretty much as simple as taking a string of led lights and affixing them under the light (1 option with using a drill bit to drill holes to insert the leds, 2 option with zip tying/duct taping/cold gluing them in place).

If ya make a fixture for your setups I'd love to see a diy step by step with photos :)

Might help ya--> http://www.ehow.com/way_5845876_diy_-le ... hting.html

4. MasterBlue

I was going to buy the LED bulbs and make the entire thing from scratch.
    But, ya never can tell.
    I'll post as I make it =P

5. MasterBlue

Well, I started this project. I managed to actually use some led book lights to make some "moon" lights. gives off a soft blue light that just illuminates the tank enough to see them swimmin'.
    I'm working on making some brighter lights, 24 bright white led bulbs soldered to a project board. Pretty effective.
    I don't have a camera right now, but I have a lot of stuff to still do, I'll save at least one board and the final processes till I can borrow one.

And the entire thing runs on batteries! lol (for now)

6. fhk9

fhk9 New Member

cool DIY LED. cant wait to see the final outcome.

7. Marquerite

Marquerite New Member

If you don't want it pretty I'd think it would be fairly easy...pretty much as simple as taking a string of led lights and affixing them under the light