1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Live Rock Hitchhikers ?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Dec 16, 2008.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Just curious as to what anyone on here has ended up with as hitchhikers with their live rock? I want to kind of get an idea of what to expect when i end up setting one up.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can really have anything come in on a piece of rock, good and bad. You can have various corals, copepods, algae, aiptasia, bristle worms, etc..

3. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Anthony's right on.

We've had pieces with no obvious hitch hikers, but we've also had corals (mushrooms specifically), aiptasia (bad anemone...), bristle worms (great scavengers but a few are harmful to corals), copepods (great little feeders), caulerpa (macro algae), coralline (great purple algae), hair algae (bad...), small hermit crabs, snails, baby starfish, etc.

I've even pulled live rock from one tank, stuck in an empty (dry) container for a few minutes, and then dropped into another tank...just to have a fish swim out of it unscathed.

Enjoy your surprises - and make sure your live rock is CURED before putting in an established tank!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

My Goldentail Comb-Tooth Blenny ALWAYS decided to swim into a hole in a rock that I'm taking out of the tank for a bit to clean. Twice he's managed to scoot into a hole in a rock the size of a large pea so I cannot see him. I removed the rock and he was out of the water for a good 5 minutes each time. :roll:

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

be careful of those bristle worms they desroy the life rock and eat everything on it. and they multiply like crazy