1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Livebearing Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by MasterBlue, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I know a large percent of livebearing fish can hybrid, but I've got a specific type in mind. I think it can't, but who else better to ask then you guys? ^^

Heterandria formosa, least killifish/ dwarf livebearer. A small fish that lives here in my local waters. I recently had a few deformed births, most ending in death sadly. I had a male guppy to refused female guppies and was very insistent on trying to breed with my H. formosa females. Most of the females now seem sterile, showing no signs of developing fry, well into age, with more than enough males around to have hundreds.

With this said, I placed a young female into my Endler tank the other day. The male took to her instantly. I don't expect her to drop any fry from him, but I wanted to be sure before I mixed all my fish like I want to.

Has any ever heard of H. formosa being able to hybrid with any other livebearing fish? Even to produce sterile offspring?

Thanks ahead of time for any help or wisdom you have to offer ^^

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Those two more then likely cannot hybridize.

3. MasterBlue

I was hopeing not. Judging on the families, they wouldn't likely be able to, and if they did the offspring wold be sterile. But, weirder things have happened. Well, thanks anyway ^^

4. Wireless-Anthony

Wireless-Anthony New Member

True. With these guys I wouldn't count on it though. LoL

5. MasterBlue

=P Yea. But if it happens, I'll let ya know! XD