1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Looking for some insight, stocking options?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Jamison St, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jamison St

Jamison St Thread Starter New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post and im excited for any and all feedback you can give.

When I was younger I had a pretty nice 20 gallon setup. Now that im older im looking for something a little more rewarding. My first thought was a nice 55 gallon tank. I've wanted an oscar for some time now. But reading up on it a 55 doesnt seem to be the best idea for a long term tank. Now im thinking a 75 gal and thats really as big as I want to go at this point in time. This tank could be a couple months in the making so im just looking for some advice.

Okay now here comes the hard part.

I want a nice red oscar but I would also like to keep other fish as well so im really torn. Ive heard silver dollars make good tank mates and maybe even a jack dempsy. Any other suggestions you guys can give me? The oscars not definite I would just enjoy a larger fish and an aggresive to semi aggressive tank.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for all the help!!!!

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Welcome to the community :) Both the fish that you mentioned would work however I am a proponent of keeping species only tanks when dealing with larger cichlids. Oscars have amazing personalities and will actually sulk if they feel that you aren't paying them enough attention or if they simply feel like it lol They are truly a wet pet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamison St

Thanks you I appreciate it! I would love to be able to keep two oscars. That would be amazing. But I dont think a 75 is large enough, even with double filtration? And i feel like having a tank that big for just one fish is almost a waste ):

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do 2 oscars in a 75g...maybe one oscar & a pleco (one that gets about 12 inch max). I've got 3 oscars (13 + inch each) & 2 common pleco (1- 17 inch / 1-10 inch) in a 150g (6 ft) tank.

5. Jamison St

Wow nice setup. Id have to say im jealous! The one O and the pleco sounds about right for me. Do you have any live plants in your tank? Ive heard oscars are notorious for ripping up plants..

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

No live plants with my oscars, they will uproot them. They are like bulldozers, right now they have about 6 piles of gravel, I'll flatten/level it out & they'll just pile it up again.

7. specialname

specialname New Member

I think Pacu's would be neat, but not for a 75. In my 75 I have 2 glofish, 2 types of neon, 2 angels, 2 guppy, 1 platy, 3 adult molly, 1 dragon fish, 3 cory cats.. I have downsized my groups. The angels are not a really great mix, but the fish know to run, especially when egg laying is coming. The dragon can get 2 foot, I know I will need a larger tank.

8. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Pacus have earned their name as tank busters for a reason, they are actually one of the few fish that I do not think should be in the hobby...many people get them for their "cool" factor but do not realize the HUGE enclosures they require.

9. Jamison St

All great insight guys thank you. How do you feel about severums or a liporinus? And do you think a sump should be used for a 75 gallon? Ive never had a tank this big so im just doing all sorts of research before I commit.