1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Mean A** kribs

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by FishVixen, May 29, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

I think I have the meanest kribs I have ever had. They have had 2 spawns and had to take all other fish out of the tank because they were killing machines. Now on there 3rd spawn I had to remove all the previous fry because the parents were eating them left and right. They have a 29 gal all to themselves with about 10 young (1 week old). the male is 4" the female about 3" so they are a larger couple than usual. With having many pairs in the past this pair is brutal. The male is usually more in the middle of the tank and the female stays at the bottom. I've never had a krib control the middle and top of the tank before. He is quite an unusual individual. (as far as Krib behavior) He will be still in the floating plants and attack anything that comes by. Well I guess as in humans fish can have the same attitude- "Different strokes for different folks."

2. nossie

nossie Member

Oh my! o_O But they aren't supposed to be aggressive, are they?
    Although, to me it's somewhat understandable that they're acting this way towards their fry as most fish don't care much about their eggs nor babies... I might have to update my info about this fish though, it's been a while since I read about it d:
    But do you think the problem would be solved if this pair would stay in a tank of their own? Are they aggressive towards eachother at all btw? o.o

3. FishVixen

The fry were 3 months old with them. That's the funny part is they have no aggression toward each other. Kribensis are great parents and defend the young but these two will kill the whole tank. I've never had a Krib hang out at the top of the tank. They were great parents with the first 2 batchs together. I guess 20 older fry with 10 newly hatched was too much for them. I was able to save 7 of the older fry and moved them into a cycled 10 gal.They range from .50 to .75" slow growers for kribs.

4. nossie

nossie Member

Wow, that's really strange! I wonder what might be wrong with those fish... o__O

5. FishVixen

Sometimes in this hobby you can only hope for norms to happen, but the opposite occurs.

6. BobV

BobV Member

maybe he just needs anger management.

7. FishVixen

He needs prison and reform! LOL But so does She.