1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Might have kenyi cichlid Pair

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by DarkDemolition, Oct 13, 2009.

1. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

I was doing little research come to find I have male and a female.. seem the male is changing yellow color and the female it's soild light blue/with dark black strips.This is good news hasn't been to much activity but the female to be around one area of the tank... Sometime she'll scare away the other fishes... has been decorating :D .. For the most part the usually together.. all the time.. Hopefully they'll pair up soon... thanks for listening ..

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

congrats on the possibility of a pair.
    Exciting!

3. DarkDemolition

Yup! I hope so too thanks [sarcasm] I can't wait awesome.. Soon I'll take pic you guys can see them.. :D

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

cool ;)

5. DarkDemolition

The fish couple will do the ritual dance ... hopefull they'll breed soon .. finger cross..
    :D :D

6. DarkDemolition

Come to find out the female kenyi is a male lol... I didn't really at it till few days ago... so I have two males

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have about 16 kenyi that are just changing colors was told they have to change & be 2 1/2 to 3" before they will breed. I have 2 in this range so far that I hope to breed before X-MAS

8. DarkDemolition

That's awesome I wish you the best of luck and hopefully .... they'll give you the best gift of all :]..

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

awesome

10. DarkDemolition

Yeah Steven there males dude.. what I find out they were yellow,few weeks ago.. lol.. but thanks for the support though..

11. JIM

JIM New Member

The Kenyi, or Lombaroi, is a Rift Valley Cichlid from Africa, more specifically, Lake Malawi. It is very aggressive. even at a size of 2 inches they can be fed feeder guppies which they tear apart slowly. When full grown they are about 5 inches. An aquarium of 25 gallons should provide enough room. But you shouldn't go over two lombardois in a ten gallon. They will probaly grow only 4 inches in a ten gallon. This fish needs a rocky aquarium with some open space.
    Lombardois like pellets. But when small they might only be able to eat flakes. They will eventually be able to eat guppies when full-grown. Earthworms and bloodworms are good food, as well as frozen Mysis.
    Lombardois are best kept in a species tank with other Lambardois. They are mouth-brooders, which means, the eggs are laid, fertilized by the male, then picked up and carried in the females mouth until they hatch and become free swimming. Males are yellow with faint bars crossing the body vertically. Males also have egg-spot(s) on the anal fin. Females are purple/Blue with blue-black bars going vertically.