1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

missing fish, is it holding???

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by blowfishRus6, Mar 8, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

i thought i had all males in my tank.

1 adult bubble bee - pretty sure its a male, its pretty large.
    1 juve kenyi
    1 adult kenyi, i think - it seems to be taking on male kenyi colors, transisting from dark blue/purple to a yellow. from what i have seen the adult male kenyi's are yellow
    and 1 electric yellow - which i assumed was a male judging by other pics of males.

i recently set up a sump filter set up and the water has been alot cleaner and the fish seem to be more happy. the adult kenyi does his matting dance ALOT and is really starting to flash his yellow colors (ive been trying to find females for him but cant seem to find any adults) well the electric yellow has gone missing. the electric has disapered before tucked away in a little crevest and did not eat for a few days with no signs of fighting, fungus, wounds, what not, then went back to normal behaviour and eating again like nothing happend. this time i have not seen the fish myself in a couple of days, where ever its at, its got a good hiding place, but thats very possible in the tank, good bit of places to hide that you cant see.

before i go pulling my 1 and 1/2 inch over flow tube off and see if the fish swam up in it (it did not come out in the sump) do you think it would be possible the fish is holding and hiding or just hiding for some reason??

ive noticed no odd behaviours at all.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What size tank are these guys in and how long have you had them ?

3. blowfishRus6

75 gal.

ive had the bigger ones for about 4 months now. the what i presume is the adult male kenyi has grown some since i had him (getting thicker and a tad longer) and looks to start taking on adult male colors now, i have really started to notice the color change here lately. it has also been doing mating dances since i have had it. the electric yellow has pretty much looked the same size since i have had it. about 4 inchs long.

the electric yellow tends to kinda stay in hinding, along with the bubble bee because the kenyi will kinda run them off, but if i put food in they deff come out and eat, the electric yellow will never miss a feeding and will fight over some food sometimes. not that they really ever fight tho, just sayin it will over some food.

but i have not seen the electric yellow come out in about 5 days now. my ol lady said that she has seen it a few times the first couple of days it went missing so as of two days ago it was still in the tank (i really dont think it swam up the overflow intake, but its possible i guess)

like said the fish have been fine, i have seen no abnormal things going on, and then the fish just goes into hiding with out eating. its a possibilty they could have got into a fight, but they have gotten into fights before and the electric never hid like this. and well the kenyi sure is doing alot of matting dances so it just makes me wonder.

4. blowfishRus6

pulled the my 1 1/2 inch over flow tube off today and stuck the water hose down in it to see if i could flush it out if it was down there. some dirt came out but no fish.

going this long with out coming out of hiding, makes me kinda think its holding, not that i have been thru this process before and know but thats what im leaning towards.

kenyi and electric yellow mix, hummmm

5. blowfishRus6

hahahaha........ was doing a little cleaning, found the fish in my sump. have no idea how it made it all the way thru the filter bucket, there is even a net tied to the bottom of my filter bucket. crazy. its still alive and kicking too. no babies :/

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

congrate on finding your fish.