1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My 16 Gal.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by trundle_sam, Nov 8, 2008.

1. trundle_sam

trundle_sam Thread Starter Member

Let me know what you think.

any questions just ask,

pics taken with mobile phone sorry for the poor quality
    081120087090.jpg 081120087100.jpg

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That picture of your Discus from this distance does not look like a snakeskin. It actually looks like a Mayan Jade. The red coloration on it seems like it is more banded than spotty. Snakeskin's have spotty red lines and Mayan Jades have solid red lines. Blue Turquoise are the same as a Mayan Jade but do not show the red lines as brilliantly.

Because red lines on yours are obvious, I think it is a Mayan Jade (Snakeskins dont usually show the red that easily from a distance either. A close up would be nice as I could be wrong.

Also those black bars are not a good thing. It does mean he/she (looks like a she) is stressed. It may be your camera spooking her out or it may be something else like water parameters/tank size/tank setup/water temp/movement around the tank/illness (doubt this as it does look like a healthy youngster).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

might just be lonely?

4. LemonDiscus

My thought exactly. Plus there are no shoaling dither fish in there. A single discus does do better with say a shoal of tetras!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

that beautiful discus deserves friends to show off for!

6. LemonDiscus

My tank has 9 now :cool:

7. trundle_sam

I had noticed there is something wrong with him day before yesterday did a few tests ph, amonia etc and they are all good. he used to have another discus when he was younger with him but he proceded to bully it to death.

8. trundle_sam

will the tetras eat my Guppy fry?

9. LemonDiscus

That is what happens when you have 2,3,4 or 5 discus. They need to be in a larger than 6 group.

Tetras will eat whatever they can catch and fit in their mouth (same as a discus). The only sure way to save the guppies is a separate tank. Discus are omnivorous (more to the carnivorous side). Like an Oscar, if a Discus can fit a living creature in its mouth (that is the hard part with them tiny little mouths) it WILL eat it.

My point, if guppy fry is a concern, the Discus needs to leave that tank, also you will continue to see aggression in that 1 Discus where he/she WILL bully new Discus to death UNLESS you get a group of at least 5 to add to the tank with it.