1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My 29g planted project

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Aironia, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Aironia

Aironia Thread Starter New Member

This is my first attempt at a planted tank so any advise will be well taken!
    The tank is a 29g all glass, it has a whisper 30 and a marineland 150 bio filter on it and a typical submersible heater.
    The substrate is this really cool stuff from Aquariumplants.com. Its their own mix and I've seen some pretty amazing tanks with this stuff. So I bought a 3 gallon bucket of this stuff and its at least 3 1/2 inches through-out. The lighting is nothing special and needs an upgrade pronto. Looking at a big-al special for freshwater tanks. Keeping it to low or moderate light plants.
    Ive finally found some Gertrude's Rainbows. Getting a dozen of them on Friday. I'm hoping they find this tank a lovely new home and will bring me many babies!
    Ive cycled the tank for the last month with five zebra danios, which ill probably dump into my main tank, and keep just the rainbows in this one. It does have two half inch Otto cats in it now that will remain. I'm thinking some shrimp for clean up will top it off. (and I'm still hoping for that zebra pleco!)

so this first picture is just after the substrate settled down a bit. Ill make sure to add a picture once it clears up.

third25.JPG second25.JPG first25.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: My planted project

Looking very nice. I've ordered plants through aquariumplants and noticed their substrate also (sounds like Eco-Complete Planted, but you get the residual cloud with it).

Are you doing a background? (ie painted, using plants, tape and secure)?

And I love your driftwood...kinda jealous actually..I had a tough time finding a nice piece for my tank when I started it.

Anxious to see more photos as it progresses.

Here's my jungle...pg 8 has the newest photos. http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=466

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Its looking good so far but you could use more plants :)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Don't rush and add a ton of plants...you'll end up with what I have! (A friggin jungle).

5. Aironia

i have gotten some java moss and some spirally grass stuff. And a mystery plant i got from the guy i got my L114 from. He says it grows straight outa the tank, just clip it and stuff it in the ground. :confused: Also got this petite thing.. grows on driftwood. Stuffed it into the holes on the wood.

AND *drum roll* i got ten baby Pseudomugli Gertrudae Rainbows! :D Twelve were shipped but only ten arrived alive. One has a question mark back...he looks like he should be swimming upside down, and another has a squiggly back. This happen often?
    *prays to the fish gods* i have both males and females. They are to little to tell!

Will add a few pictures in a day or two. Don't want to stress them out with to much attention.
    Thanks for the comments keep em comen!

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with Dawn! Be careful you will get a jungle! :) I have plants growing out of the tank! Here is a link to my jungle as well: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1560&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1560&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45</a> I figure in a few more months the fish wont have room anymore :)

From what I read Eco-Complete does not cloud water.... How much did you spend per bag and how much was in it?

I think like Dawn mentioned also that you need a background. I like painted backgrounds (black) but it is all on your preference. I just painted mine black.

Like Dawn I like your driftwood. Is it Mopani wood? If so that is EASY to work with. Unlike Dawn I just searched for mine in not so local waterways and treated it.... that takes much more time than store bought but is MUCH cheaper!

Is that Crypt in the front left corner.... if so it may seem to die off (melt) if it does dont worry it will come back.

I like looking at tanks as they develop! It is coming along nice.

7. Aironia

Its not eco complete its aquariumplants own mix. You buy it in Gallon buckets..I bought a 3 gallon bucket, with free shipping it was under $50. It didnt weigh but twenty four pounds. It as you can see was more then enough substrate for this tank. I have friends with a 55, 87, and 125 all using this substrate. The 55g used a 5 gal bucket, the 87 used a 6g and a2g, and the 125 used two 6g buckets. They also sell their own furtilizer 'pills'. you stick them under the root balls, in sections and they last for a month. None of my friends use liquid ferts or Co2. ( to be honest i have no clue about Co2 and From what i have read you really have to know what your doing)Im hoping i have that kinda luck too. i dont mind if the plants dont just take over right away. i want healthy. If they are healthy just not super fast growers ill be ok with that.

Im not sure what these plants are, i had the little tags that were in the pots but i think my son took of with it. They all seem to have gone thru a stage with their newer leaves falling off. Hopefuly the rest will stay.

The wood was a gift (sorta ;) ). From my Uncle who traveled to Africa. He shipped about 200lbs of this stuff back for his tanks and i snuck in and stole this piece. shhhhh dont tell nobody!! :eek:

I do want a background but im scared to paint. I like being able to change things on a whim. I have a scenic background but it didnt let you see the detail in the tank when i took pics so i removed it. Someone mentioned using a shower curtain...that idea appeals to me if i can get it on there without looking to cheap.

And about my rainbows. I had a death this morning. I think it was a female. I know for sure now i have at least two males...although the one with the squiggly back is a male. Can deformed fish still spawn? will it mean thier babies will be deformed?

Well heres another pic with the water is crystal clear. I have a breeders net in it with the danios (waiting for a new home) Maybe its close enough so you can see what plants they are?

Anyway thanks for the feedback

fourth25.JPG

8. Aironia

I was able to get a shot of my deformed fish! Ones a female one is a male. The top picture you can see the male on top facing the right. Notice his stripes on his back do like this ~. Then a female below to the left looks like shes upside down.

The last picture is of the tank with the new plants. On the driftwood is petite anubias, in the back right is corkscrew val, I'm thinking the plant in the left back is some sorta ozelot. i have a small flat rock with java moss on it and not sure what the little leafy plant is yet.

fifth25.JPG boygr.jpg deformed.jpg

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

if its deformed thats bad i would rather just kill it and get a male and a female from a different source because thats bad for the population period. but then again their guppies just my 2 cents

10. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

It's looking good. But the java moss will grow really quick. I should watch them :)

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

need something for the back right corner (maybe shift the vals there).
    Looking great though!

12. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with Dawn. That would also help hide the heater! :D

13. Aironia

so here are a few pics of the tank as the weeks progressed. At this point everything is growing in well, the ozelot is browning..im assuming its because its not getting enough light.

all the rainbows, but one have died. The otto's are getting fat, and ive found a snail i never bought. Have no idea what plant it hitched in on.

The java moss i have, i had split and put half in the tank and half in a fish breeder net, in prep for eggs from the rainbows... well it turns out there must have been an egg on it already. i have mystery fish. Its getting bigger and bigger, I'm very curious to see what it turns into.

eigth25.JPG seventh25.JPG six25.JPG

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Those are fake turtles, right ?

15. Aironia

hehehe

yes its one of those magnetic things that half of it is on the outside of the tank. my son LOVES it.

16. Aironia

So my sons golden mystery snail went on a vaca today. we found him about four feet away from the tank.
    water was changed yesterday and i probably filled it a little to much. BUT is that why he'd leave the tank? Just because he could?
    I am brand new to the world of snails...
    well anyway we found him and figured wouldn't hurt to put him back into the tank just in case...well now we see one of his little feelers coming out of his shell..so looks like he wasn't dead. But I'm sure hes not doing to well. the bottom of his body...what i call his 'foot' looks to be hard..and discolored.
    is there anything i can or should do for him?

Temp of tank is 82. Only him and another snail..and a Otto in this tank.
    i change it once a week at least 30% of the 29g.
    water parameters are steller

any thoughts?

Im thinking the hitchhiker snail we found layed eggs, or had babies or what ever it is they do. They dont need a mate? just one can do it? Ive attached a pic of what i think to be ittsy bittsy snails.. but if anyone else can confirm what it looks like id appreciate it.

Also we found this golden looking thing. Not sure what it is.
    anyone have any idea?

whitedots25.JPG orangething.jpg snail25.JPG

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Alot of snails can lay eggs without a mate, Thats why they can be a serious problem. Well since he was out of the water he wasnt acclimated. WIch could be bad for Him but that's just my guess..

18. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

don't know much about snails - can't help ya there. tank looks real nice.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have the same regular issue...tons of eggs at the top of the tank...and then if they find so much as a nook they escape and commit suicide behind the tank..soo sad! Luckily for me there's enough eggs to fill several tanks!

Best I can tell you is keep the top WELL covered (glass canopy with plastic strips) and make sure their aren't any holes (escape routes) bigger than a dime!

20. Aironia

here is the latest with the tank. Nothing to special just things growing. finally. once things fill out a bit more ill try to arrange them. Right now im content to watch them grow.
    ninth25.JPG