1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My 40G planted tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by GOT MTS?, Mar 31, 2009.

1. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Thread Starter Member

I am almost ready to go. As you can see I have mixed my substrate and put it in the tank. The dark is my soil based, and the light is the regular.

I have set up my hard scape, and wanted to get all of your opinions on how it looks. I am going for a mound style aquarium. I would like the background to be barely visible when plants grow in.

Of course I will probably play with over the next couple days and shift things around. I also need to wash some more sand and fill in between the rocks a little. Just thought I would see what you all think ;)

DSCF0201.JPG DSCF0202.JPG DSCF0204.JPG DSCF0205.JPG DSCF0206.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Once you get the plants to fill in the back and sides that will look sweet!

3. Leslie

Leslie New Member

u should by dawn plants. it will go good in that tank!

4. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition New Member

Nice Tank.. I like the lava rocks look.. which I could be wrong.. [scratch]

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I love it Nick. The lava rock reminds me of broken pavement though. :)

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Its coming out great Mts!! I cant wait till you get them plants in it :D

7. Leslie

Leslie New Member

looks very good. i am think abou going and buying some pink rocks/crystals.

8. GOT MTS?

Broken pavement? :) I am going to plant a bunch of anubias in the cracks between rocks. It will look a lot different with plants growing in amongst the rocks.

Thanks for all the comments ;)

9. brandeeno

brandeeno New Member

I really like the way the rocks and drift wood blend together in the center of the tank. Once the tank is well planted no doubt will it look amazing!

I am really intrigued to see how this looks in a few months once planted with some steady growth occuring!

what are your plans as far as plants, fish and filtration?
    How much light and what type of substrates are you using?

I cant help but envy this tank and how much potential it has!

10. GOT MTS?

Wow lots of questions :) I am glad to see that someone is interested.

The dark part of the substrate is a mixture of earthworm castings, top soil, flourite, and pool filter sand. I then covered it in a mixture of pool filter sand and black sand for color.

For filtration I am using a classic Ehiem canister filter. I think I am going to get another Ehiem classic and a power head.

The tank is not full yet. I am growing out Glosso and giving the bacteria in the substrate a chance to get use to being submerged so there is only about 2 inches of water in the tank.

Lighting is 3.9 watts per gallon with nova extreme t5 lighting.

Here is a list of plants I am thinking of using, these might change:

Back ground: limnophila sessiliflora, rotala rotundifolia, HM (pearlweed).

Midground crypt walkerii, crypt undulatus, crypt becketti, blyxia japanica, and anubias on the rocks. I might also try to get some HC to grow in some sand on top of the rocks.

Foreground is going to be mostly glosso, but I might also add Marsilea quadrifolia or pull up the glosso and use only the Marsilea quadrifolia. I will see how it looks when the glosso grows in.

I hope that answered your questions. Thanks for your interest. ;)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I love the mound look! I can't wait to see what it looks like in a few months.

What are your plans for fauna? And what size tank is it?

Lookin good bro.

12. GOT MTS?

My glosso is really growing well and I think I will be ready to add more plants in a week or two. I will post update pictures this week.

For those of you that are wondering what going into the tank, here is a list of fish I am thinking of. Some of these fish I have not tried together so if any one sees any possible conflicts please let me know.

lots of cardinal tetras
    Red tailed sharks
    a couple of loaches for plant snail control
    oto catfish
    some kind of dwarf pleco (probably albino long fin. I've had these before and really like them)
    If I can find some zebra nerite snails (they wil have to big so the loaches don't eat them)
    german blue rams
    SAEs

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ditch the red tail shark, they can get nasty with smaller fish and definately aren't great in a community tank (plus they can get up to 6").

--Neon tetras are nicer imo, plus they are a bit smaller so you could get more?
    ---What types of loaches are you planning on? (might wanna skip em-uproot plants)
    ----Oto catfish or SAE's would be great.
    -----bristlenose plecos are great! Longfins are absolutely gorgeous.
    ------I know the gbr are water quality sensitive (be careful and go slow with this one).
    -------Do MTS snails (multiply fast, will agitate your substrate) and toss a golden mystery snail in for a splash of color (golden or albino).

14. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I LOVE that mound look too! I personally dont think that I could have pulled that off with the hardscape/plants I had when I started my tank, plus my 125 is SO long it makes that design even harder to work. I am anxious to see what you make of it!

Looking good now!

15. GOT MTS?

Plants are ordered and should be in around Wednesday ;)

16. GOT MTS?

Here is the tank after the first planting. Some of the plants that are in the tank will be moved shortly to other tanks. That is why they are still in the baskets. I have 2 more plant orders coming in. Some of the background plants are in there but it will be a few weeks before they grow taller than the rocks.

This is only the first planting. There are going to be a lot of changes once things grow in a little.

Yes that is brown algae in the front of the tank. I think it will all go away after the glosso finishes spreading out. FYI the glosso is growing like crazy.

It's not a very good picture due to the fact that my batteries could die at any second. I'll take a bunch more pictures when I get new batteries ;)
    40g 5-8-09.jpg

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That looks really nice ! ;)

18. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

wow i love your tank

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Agree with Anthony, Looking VERY nice!!!
    Wanna come replant mine? Lol!

20. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Looks like someone has the magical touch, That's looking really good MTS!
    How long did it take you to plant that all?