1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Black Moor Is Dieing! :( Immediate help pls!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by san_sam, May 28, 2010.

1. san_sam

san_sam Thread Starter New Member

My 4 and a half years old black moor has been swimming upside down for more than a week now and I thought it is swim bladder disease. so I gave him frozen peas which he didn't eat at all. I soaked the food before feeding him and he was getting better. Now he has stopped eating and he is loosing strength to stay afloat. He just breathes. I found him stuck to the filter in the afternoon and I have put a net in the tank to separate him alone. He is not eating anything and I don't really know what to do. Pls help.. :(

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What are your water parameters ?

3. san_sam

The temperature is 23 degree Celsius and I don't have a PH and ammonia checker so I don't know about that. I did my 30% water change a week back...

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

without knowing the parameters one can only guess as to why your fish is struggling.
    The best advice I can think of is to do a 50% water change and add dechlorinator BEFORE filling it back up.

I'd also increase oxygen to the tank (via airpump and airstone).

As for food, maybe try some live food or one with garlic...

It may simply be he is older than you think/were told?

5. san_sam

We get a groundwater that is not chlorinated. so the water is not really a problem. I will increase the oxygen supply like you said and get him some worms to feed in the morning.. What is garlic food? He might be older than what I think because we bought him in a fish expo four years back.. but he never grew.. He was as tiny as he was when he was in my 5 gal tank.. With me he has been over 4 and a half years now.. :(

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I believe the hikari has it in there food <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nlspets.com/Goldfish-White-Wheat-Ger-p/808075.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nlspets.com/Goldfish-White-W ... 808075.htm</a>

and I know for sure the new life spectrum goldfish food has it in it <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petblvd.com/cgi-bin/pb/NLI40530.html?mv_pc=froogle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petblvd.com/cgi-bin/pb/NLI40 ... pc=froogle</a>

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that your fish isn't doing well.

still, it wouldn't hurt to get the water tested just to be on the safe side, seeing how you've got a sick fish. if your able to, take a sample of the tank water to your local fish store and see if they can test it for you and give you the results in a number value. also see about getting a test kit, the liquid test kits are the best, the dip strip type are ok but not as accurate but are better than having nothing at all.
    a good water dechlorinator/conditioner not only removes chlorine but also detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. they also helps your fish with their natural slim coat.

with the type of fish you've got, the size of the tank and fitration, i would suggest in doing a larger weekly water change (along with gravel vac) of 75-80%.

9. san_sam

Thank you buzz.. I will note them all down.. he is still fighting it out. He is still in his tank and I have kept him in a net to avoid stress. he is eating well and all that. His fins seem to be a little damaged. shall I keep him like this for a week or something and see if there is any improvement..

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if your gonna do that make sure it's a large soft brine shrimp net (will keep it from damaging the gills/fins)...or simply use a specimen container--drilling a few holes carefully into it of course and hang it INSIDE the tank rather than on the outside.

11. san_sam

I have kept him in a small one.. Will get a big net today and keep him in that.. :D

12. buzz4520

glad to hear that he's eating...try to get him to eat some shelled peas.

13. san_sam

My black moor is dead guys. :( He died early in the morning.. :( I hope I tried my best to make him better. He is always going to be one of my favorite goldies ever. Will miss him though. Courageous little man he was. :( thanks a ton for all the love and support guys..

14. buzz4520

sorry for your loss... [icon_e_sad.gif]

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

awe, I'm sorry. I'm sure you did all you could..it was probably something as simple as he was older than you originally thought.

16. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

You gave him a wonderful life while his spirit was here. You should be proud for what you did for him. I'm very proud of you.

17. nossie

nossie Member

So sorry that it ended this way for you too :C