1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Green Spotted Puffer Is Swimming With His Body/Tail Down

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

He usually doesn't swim this way, he's either pacing up and down the tank or swimming normally. He doesn't show any sign of stress ie. black stomach. This is just unusal for him. Could he be liking the current of the filter and just be wading with it? I fed him earlier and he has a belly but i only fed him a tiny bit of plankton, which is his usual diet. I changed the water yesterday sinse i was getting brown spots in the sand. The hydrometer says the salt water is at 1.021, brackish water. So could he be sick, or just having fun?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well... #1 your water is considered salt at the salinity.

What are all your water parameters ?
    Ammonia
    Nitrites
    Nitrates
    Temp
    Tank Size

What filter is on it ? Is it causing a lot of water movement in the tank (not the surface) ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

As far as filter goes, i'm not sure what kind it is, because it came with the tank, but i use large size bio-bags for the filter cartridges. And i know nothing about the water parimeters. I've never had a salt water tank in my life so i'm new to all this.

But he seems to be back to his old self today,so i'm assuming he was just playing playing with the current of the filter.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You HAVE to test your water parameters, there's no way around it. Failing to do so it just asking for problems that will lead to the death of your fish, especially with new(er) tanks.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

oh and tank size is 20 gal, he's all by himself and temp is between 78-82 since i researched puffers and the like warm water

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i've had this tank set up maybe for 6 months now first a freshwater, and now i guess it's considered a salt water tank

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

If i take a sample of the water to the petstore should they be able to test all of that for me

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Right, and when you transition from fresh to salt all of your beneficial bacteria dies off and has to reestablish itself.
    Yep. ;)

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, i'll get that done later today. :D Are Saltwater tanks somewhat easy to take care of? I want to get real plants for his tank, but i have no clue what would work for a puffer. And i still want to make his tank a more natural theme. So by chance would you have any idea what might work to put in his tank?

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Real plants won't live in saltwater. Saltwater requires corals and inverts which depending on what you get can be easy or hard.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

kk i'll probably have to stick with plastic plants, and maybe rock type stuff that i can setup that i've seen at the petstore. All because i wouldn't be able to afford corals and inverts as much as i really want a true salt water tank.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

you could get brackish water/salt specific plants such as black needle rush or aspartine grasses, the only thing about plants and salt water tanks is that in the wild the plants work off the tide, so in a tank I am going to guess that the aspartine grass would do the best as the black needle rush is usually only inundated twice a day at high tide.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, i'll be heading to the petstore shortly so i'll see if they have any

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Mangrove trees would work.

15. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

no corals or inverts will survive in a tank with a puffer in it.....puffers are not reef safe and will consume just about any coral you put in there.....

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You probably wont find the plants I mentioned in the store, they are marsh plants. Where are you located? I could probably get you some and mail it to you.

Nm just reread your post and saw Orange County, the plants may survive the trip, let me know if your interested. They would be from the wild and may contain parasites/stragglers, just to warn you, but I would try to get it from the least polluted area.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Did you get your water tested ?

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yea, i got my water tested and apparently everything was fine, but then again, this is petco, so i don't know if i should trust them. But he's been fine ever since. And i also got him a new setup, too. :D

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You probably wont find the plants I mentioned in the store, they are marsh plants. Where are you located? I could probably get you some and mail it to you.

Thank you for your offer. I think i'll just stick with fake plants, as much as i want to get real plants, i just think i won't have any clue on how to take care of them and keep them alive.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Which is why you need your own test kit, especially since your tank is now saltwater.