1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Oscar committed suicide!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I had to mourn the death of my full grown Oscar, "Oscar" the other night when my girlfriend found him hard and dried out on the carpet by the tank, Next to him was the plastic lid to the tank. He has jumped out before one time when i was feeding him and he struck the water like a full grown bass and flew out... I was able to get him back in the tank with relatively little injury to him.

However his desire for freedom was too strong, he must have blasted up from the bottom of the tank like a ****** dolphin and took the tank lid with him.

We will miss you Oscar,

Does anyone have any similar experience with Oscars doing this? Ive heard of jaguar cichlids liking to jump but *** **** Oscar.... WHYYYYY? I know it was time for a water change... but the dempsey twins didnt leave!!!

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

sry to hear about your lost.... :(
    my father had the same happen to him and both of his oscars....he came home and both of them were on the floor.

3. Cowbla1

Cowbla1 New Member

:cry: :cry: I'm sorry for your losses. I think all large fish attempt to escape at some point. I used to have pacus (i know the tank was to small.) and they tried numerous times. Also, my teachers oscar in a 120 jumped out numerous times.

4. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

I'm sorry that must have really sucked.
    I have only had one fish jump, and that was to the back of the filter, but I have heard of fish jumping out of tanks and being on the ground for well over 6 hours, and getting put back in the tank and they;d still be alive.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you for your input and moral support, yes it was pretty upsetting. If our depseys grow to be that size im going to consider weighting down the flimsy plastic lids. Now our tank seems extremely empty, however the dempseys seem to be "courting" and are more playful than before which is cool. However we need a new oscar... Do we start with an oscar that is the same size as the dempseys or should we invest in another "large" oscar? How old do you guys think my oscar was if he was about 10" nose to tail (he came with our tank so I dont know his age)?

Thanks again

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the reasoning of this was a lot of oscars jump when food is coming and it some movement above it could of happened like a fly or something this could be why he died

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I had a danio that jumped out a month ago

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Im sorry you lost you buddy, pal, and good friend oscar. This world works in strange stange ways sometimes. Maybe theres some hidden moral in this story somewhere, what I got out of it was: keep your oscar happy as he will dip out on you.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Danio's fly like paper and get high like planes, oscars take your money.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sorry for your loss. i had a 5in jack dempsey and red tail shark that did the same. also a male betta i have did the same and found him lifeless on the floor dried up but put him back in water and in 2hrs later he was swimming around as if nothing happened. weird huh
    ----------------------------------------------
    250 gallon show tank
    1 red devil
    3 king kong parrots
    3 jaguars
    1 jack dempsey
    1 red terror
    10 wild caught convicts
    2 plecos

-------------------------------------------------
    40 gallon tank
    1 red cap goldfish
    1 fancy goldfish
    1 calico goldfish
    1 red ear slider
    -------------------------------------------------
    2.5 gallon tank
    1 male crown tail betta
    1 female half moon betta

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

He came back to life ? That's really weird, LoL

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I had a dempsey that did that, didn't die...cuz he did it in front of me.
    That was some years back...lol. Guess he got a lil excited about feeding time?
    Sorry to hear about your oscar...at least your dempseys remained faithful to ya :)
    Must have been one of those "hard to please" fish? :eek: Did he have a female companion? My kid read this and said maybe he was lonely.

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I had a breeding pair and my female did just that. She jumped out the tank and dried up on the floor next to the tank. This was the second oscar to kill itself with my pairs. The male before the one I have now wedged himself under a log and died.

Well, I quit with oscars now. As a matter of fact have a 12-14" male that I want to get rid of.

$25 if you live near RVA

Discus only for me now!

14. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Sorry to hear about your oscar Scottygill :cry: that is really a shame....oscars are really nice fish, real pets IMO. I think that he may have been after a bug too. My old oscar used to hit the hood of his tank when a moth or something would get in there. Or maybe he just thought there was one there. Either way they are strong fish for sure!!
    If your JD's are getting ready to spawn I would not add an oscar to the tank. They will gang up on the new fish for sure!! Of course this depends on the size of the tank!! I should have asked that first :roll: In a big enough tank (like a 125) it shouldn't be a problem, and then I would get a big, big oscar so he won't be harrassed as much.

As for how old he was? Hard to say. Most O's will reach 10 inches in a year maybe less. So figure at least a year plus however long you've had the tank....