1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Need Advice on Amazon Sword Plant

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by craftycrux, Mar 15, 2010.

1. craftycrux

craftycrux Thread Starter New Member

Hi,

I recently bought an amazon sword plant from the pet store. It came with a lot of brown spots on its leaves. I wasn't concerned with them until I started doing research on sword plants and realized that it probably wasn't normal. This is what it looks like. Can anyone tell me how to help the plant?

ai819.photobucket.com_albums_zz118_craftycrux_Sword_20Plant_Picture0028.jpg
    ai819.photobucket.com_albums_zz118_craftycrux_Sword_20Plant_Picture0030.jpg

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Pic 2 makes it appear as if it may have BBA. They are slow growers. Moderate lighting. Are you using any ferts? Brown spots is usually a sign of nutrient deficiency.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well I'm pretty sure that isn't an amazon sword. I've had a plant like that before and I'm pretty sure it was a type of crypt. See if the spots rub off, if they do then it's just diatom algae which is common in a new tank. If it doesn't and it actually a dead part of the leaf then you need to check your lighting and may need to add some ferts to the tank.

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Looks more like a small java fern to me. Are the leaves attached to a hard green thing with the roots coming off of that? If so then it is a rhizome and your plant is dieing because it is buried, pull the hard green thing (rhizome) out of the substrate and bury JUST the roots.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what it is, java fern !

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

oh man..i've got to do a better job than that. didn't give the pics enough visual.

Odd looking Java Fern I must say.

In that case...the little black dots you see under neath the leaves are where new plants grow from. And like earlier mentioned....the rhizome must not be burried completely.

7. craftycrux

Thanks a lot! Yah, I just went back to the store today and learned that it was a java fern. Oops! My mistake....pretty new to this

8. craftycrux

Thanks for your reply. Yah, I realized soon after that it wasn't a sword. that explains a lot! lol

9. craftycrux

Yup...just learnt that it was a java fern an hour ago...did what you suggested. thanks!

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Great to hear, you should see some improvement now that the rhizome isn't buried.