1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need filtration advice for 20g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

filtration for a 20 gal
    Okay, since i am assuming this is a 20 gal (i pick up tomarrow, Yeah!!) would 2 10 gal filters work on it??

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Depends on what you are stocking it with. It could use 1 10 gallon filter or it could need a 30/60.

Also if you keep plants in it you wont need as much filtration. Or on how you change your water.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Personally I'm really impressed with the new Rena SmartFilters. I'd pick up the mid range model rated for a 30 gallon tank and use that.

Yeah, it does depend a lot of what you keep in the tank.

4. Leslie

hum.. well i have no clue to what i am going to put in it. I didnt want to spend any money. cause i have 2 filters. there are going to be plants.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What type of filters are they ?

6. Leslie

I have no clue. i may just end up buying a whole new one. just have t find one cheap enought.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That might be a better idea, so you know the GPH of the filter.

8. Leslie

i will look at walmart. they may have one in my broke price range.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Just remember, it's always better to buy a filter rated for a larger tank that you have. ;)

10. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I know it is just me and I will get some for saying this but I currently run a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 (rated for a 55-90) on my 125. I do stay on top of my water changes and keep track of my nitrites/nitrates and ammonia levels. I dont have a problem at all. BUT I am overplanted and understocked on fish for the tank which does make a difference. PLUS Discus really dont like a lot of water movement and nor do the Angels so that is 1 thing, I have always done this for Discus.

Oscars on the other hand. When I had them small enough and kept them in my 55 I had 2 30-60 filters running in addition to 25-30 water changes 1 time a week at least.

Stock is what I have always went with. Not so much tank size but the bio-load.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

No renas at walmart, only petsmart. I agree with anthony on them being a great filter, also with a tank that small Id get a filter rated a 200gph to get a turnover rate of 10x and hour ensuring great water quality.