1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need filtration assistance for 125g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Filtration for a 125g
    I have a 125 that I am thinking about changing the filtration system on, currently theres a xp3 canister filter and a wet dry on the other side, I want to get rid of the wet dry and I am wondering what I should replace it with, another canister maybe? Any idea let them flow, like my wet dry does with water only its into the floor and not back into the tank!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How about an Hagen FX5 ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Please include why you would recomend the certain filter. Would a AC110 and an additional canister be able to replace the wet dry?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The FX5 should filter a 125 nicely on it's own. It would filter that tank a bit over 7 times an hour.

Why would you want to add an additional canister filter and a HOB ?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Technically the XP3 should filter the 125 on it's own but it would only filter the tank a little over once an hour which personally I think is far from enough.

If you wanted, you could just replace the wet dry filter with something like this.

[​IMG]
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/ctl3684/cp19172/si1379772/cl1/marineland_tidepool_wetdry_filter1?&query=wet+dry&queryType=0&offset=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalo ... =0&offset=</a>

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I was just curious, trying to look at my options. What does the thing from big als do? Is it just a replacement for the wet dry housing that I have?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Wayyyy, to expensive. Im looking for something I can get off ebay for like a buck.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, that thing I posted above it to replace your wet dry housing.

9. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

at 500gph the ac110 is awesome

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I myself have a 90g...and have it overfiltered also.
    If your already running the Rena Filstar xP3 (mind you I love my xP4), and your looking for that something extra & don't want to go with another canister...I would go with a Marineland emperor 400.

I love the easy drop in cartridges, the spray bars that rotate the bio-wheels, and the extra cartridges for whatever other media you may want to add (I run 2 in addt. to the xP4 for some really nice overkill on my 90g...I never skimp on filtration). The durability plays a big factor also, I've had my original 400 for quite some time...and I've never had an issue with the motor or impeller wearing down yet!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0025878000000
    Details:
    The flow rate on them is stated as 400gph and the measurements are 16-1/2" w x 6-1/2" d x 10-1/2" h. The manufacture suggests for 30-80g, but in addition to the Rena...it should work nicely.
    $39.99 @ fosterandsmith & deduct $5 using 1131/8421
    $42.99 @ petsmart & deduct $5 for using WELCOME5

Also, I hear great things about the 110 aquaclear. Their flowrate is 500gph & are suggested for 60-110g aquariums. Their pretty close in price to the marineland emperors (just a few bucks more). People @ my lfs swear by them, but I myself have yet to try one. I've just always gone with the marinelands because I was soo happy with the job my first one did and I've had that one forever!

I came across the Aquaclear 110 (500) for $52.93 plus shipping...which looks like should be about $12.00
    Here's the site: http://www.mopsdirect.us/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/us-skus/CPHA-A620.html?E+us+Froogle
    For that price, I just may be tempted enough to give one a try!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE AC 110's. :D

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How long does it take bacteria to establish a good colony in a filter that has been placed into a well established tank?

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A few weeks is what I've always heard.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks, the reason I ask is that I want to take the wet dry off today and see whats going on (I think its leaking). I added the ac110s Wed and I know that removing the wet dry would be causing a great, great loss in beneficial bacteria. When would, in your opinion, I be safe to try to fix the leak or asses the damage on the wet/dry? The longest the wet/dry would be removed today would be about 24 hrs.

15. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

i would give it atleast 5 days before i remove the wet/dry

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:02 pm
    Yeah, I think im going to wait till Wed. or even next weekend, I havent noticed any water out of the w/d in a while so its not urgent or anything, as of right now, however, since I said that it will probably explode sometime tonight.

17. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:25 pm
    I have a 125 gallon, after I finish my hood I have been reading and I am positive I am going with an Rena filstar XP4 for my tank. You can find them for 99 on ebay (if you look for a bit) and they have buy it now for 149 and like another 20 - 50 for shipping. Still cheaper than the almost 300 in the stores!

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:11 pm
    I have the rena filstar xp4 running on my 90g, I absolutely love it.
    It's located in my bedroom and VERY quiet unlike some initial reviews that I have found. Plus, I like the idea of their smartheater which is compatible with the filter. I scored mine a few months back at petsolutions for $119 which included the shipping (but of course they upped the price now).
    The cheapest I have seen it now is http://www.mopsdirect.us/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/us-skus/CPAF-723.html?E+us+Froogle and on Ebay for the $149 buy it now also (which if you use BigCrumbs.com you'll get a kick back too, not sure if Ebates is the same?)

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:47 pm
    I think for the price comparison I would go with the fx5, the flow rating on that thing is through the roof! I have an xp3 and its been pretty decent.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:55 pm
    The fx5 was what I was originally looking at too, but it was too big to fit in my cabinet and their wasn't enough space on the side...And when I saw one at my LFS they said the hoses were really short. But the reviews between the two are really close!

For those of you who are wondering about the killer filters we're talking about...here's one persons review of both with photos of each and all!:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Hardware-Do-It-Yourself/223737/Fluval-Fx5-Vs-Rena-Filstar-Xp4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fishforums.net/content/Hardw ... lstar-Xp4/</a>