1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help finding a uv sterilizer part

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Help finding UV Sterilizer Part for Repair

I have a coralife TurboTwist 36w UV sterilizer.

[help] the part that is cracked is the "red spray painted" bolt>its function is to slide down over the 5/8" diameter tube which goes over the thread tightening it to make an airtight seal.

Can anyone help me find a replacement part (if one even exists)?

Note>I plan on mounting it vertically>>so that damaged area is the TOP portion of the unit.

The photos included are the 3x uv>>mines the 12x, but they look identical...with mine being a monsterous beast.
    VAS-ES77070_280_280 (2).jpg VAS-ES77070_280_280.jpg

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Coralife was sold to Oceanic Systems so they should have parts for the Coralife line now

Rick

3. MOD_Dawn

I've tried looking online and the only thing I saw was the hole uv bulb chamber which was almost $60 bucks!

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

if its a bolt can you find an equivalent size at Lowes or Home Depot?

5. MOD_Dawn

I was there (home depot) the other day, I don't recall seeing one that would work...but I might just toss it in my purse and double check.

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I would... if not Lowes... I always had luck with them... you may have to buy more than you need but hey... whatever! :cool:

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

if it's just the tightening nut that's cracked/broken and not the stem/housing then you can try to get nut off and use a small hose clamp on the hose to keep it from leaking.

8. MOD_Dawn

Hey, I didn't think of that..probably because the hose doesn't make it to the threads (luckily the bolt would extend past the threads and hold it tightly in place).

All that I saw was the bolt that tightens down was cracked straight across from top to bottom thread. I'll have to re-check it in the morning and see if the hose clamp will work (used them in the past for other things so I know exactly what your talking about)!

If I'm able to use it that way I will definately test it on my bathtub BEFORE the tank (lesson learned the hard way)...tank it fits tightly behind...when it leaked it was extremely difficult to clean up the water being walls are on both right and left side of the tank!

9. buzz4520

glad i could be of some help...hope it works out for you.

10. MOD_Dawn

Me too, cuz that thing was heck of expensive!

11. MOD_Dawn

Okay, I checked to see if it would work with just the clamp...no go.

The hose won't fit over the area it would need to in order to utilize the clamp.

But on the up side my father thinks he can repair it with some jb weld>>and since the part doesn't actually touch the water I don't have to worry whether the product is aquarium safe!

*fingers crossed it will work*

-->Note to self: nag him to pick up the stuff to fix it so I can get the other xp4 on!

12. buzz4520

sorry it didn't work, thought that it would and save you some $$. hope the jb weld idea will do the trick.

13. MOD_Dawn

it's ok (wish it had, would have been able to repair it already since I had those laying around).
    Hopefully the jb will do the trick! Just alot going on lately and haven't had the chance to pick up a tube of it.

14. MOD_Dawn

Picked up the jb weld and had my daddy mix it and put it on. Letting it "dry" for 2 days just to be on the safe side. Will test it on my bathtub BEFORE making the mistake and squeezing it behind the tank.
    wish me luck!

15. buzz4520

best of luck . keeping fingers crossed for you.

16. MOD_Dawn

Thank you buzz! I sure hope that works...I'm anxious to get the 2nd xp4 on the tank, but the hoses were cut to accomodate the uv...and without it they are too short!

17. buzz4520

have you gotten your uv sterilizer fixed/working?

18. MOD_Dawn

The jb weld is cured, but I need more (filstar xp4) tubing to test it and haven't had a chance to get out to find some. Existing tubing was cut too short to use it on my tank.

19. MOD_Dawn

Okay, I finally got the correct part for the other xp4 and went to run the uv sterilizer only to find out that after several minutes the jb weld DID NOT hold and it began to leak like a sieve yet again...completely disgusted I decided to put the other xp4 on without the uv sterilizer (sterilizer is currently sitting on my basement floor until I decide what to do with it).

20. MOD_Dawn

I stopped in my lfs tonight and showed them the part...they were able to give the manufactures website and a breakdown of the parts so I can contact them about it. They said if the manufacture couldn't take care of it they would find a way to order the part I'd need (but said it would take quite some time to get probably).

The website is <a class="postlink" href="http://www.esuweb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.esuweb.com</a>
    Energy Savers Unlimited
    Carson, California 90746 USA

and according to the breakdown it's the thread on Hose Barb Outlet (single piece and not the Lock Nut).