1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with cloudy green water & question about partial

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by jrow8162, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Cloudy Water in my 20 long

My 20 long is looking cloudy. A little green too.... I did a 50% water change yesterday and it helped a lot! Also have been keeping the light off more than usual. this is the tank I just moved 5 african cichlids out of. It was never cloudy when they were in there. Now it has 7 neons, 2 glolights, and 1 small Angelfish. Question I have is can I do another water change tonight? Oh yeah, I also put a small pleco in there last weekend.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Cloudy Water in my 20 long

Green water will be caused by free floating algae. Too much light and/or too many neutrients (food) will cause this.

Yes, you shouldn't have any issues doing another water change tonight.

3. jrow8162

Cool, I will do another water change tonight. If its still cloudy tomorrow will it be too much to do another one?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd skip a day if you can. You'll want to remedy the problem so you won't have to worry about doing so many water changes.

5. jrow8162

I'm pretty sure i'm not overfeeding... I clean the gravel with every water change and dont get a lot of waste coming out of it. Must be the light. I'll leave it off longer and see how that goes...

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

Bacteria bloom due to added stock. BB trying to catch up with bioload. I would avoid two wc's in one day. Not good.

As for green water....use the black out method. Lights off for a couple of days.