1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need help with green water

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hey All, need help. My tank now has green water. It is not to bad but it is pretty cloudy and greenish. I know why it is because of over feeding and the lights on to long but I need to know how to get rid of it and get my clear tank back. I do a water change weekly but it did not help.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:26 pm
    Daily water changes, decrease the lighting time and feeding. If that doesn't work, you can do a total blackout of the tank for several days or install a UV Sterilizer.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:28 pm
    Water changes, less light and time my friend! Lots of time (a week or more)

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:37 pm
    What do you think of an additive like alegone or what ever

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:40 pm
    Personally I would never use a product like that in my tank.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:43 pm
    Is it bad for the fish

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:45 pm
    I have used it, and as long as you dont overdose the tank the fish will be fine (even used it with fry). But, if you do overdose kiss all your fish goodbye.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 pm
    did it work good

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:59 pm
    did it work well? hmmm, yes and no. I wont buy it again but with multiple treatments it did its job.

10. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 pm
    I tried the chemicals when I had my pond and they never worked... more gimics than anything else.. I suppose if you got the right one they would.... I never found them though.

A pond keeper I met before said, "learn to deal with it with no chemicals, for every chemical there is a natural way to fix it". What he meant was more plants will take the nutrients from the water from the algae.

The water-changes, less light and time IS your best bet! Algae is not that bad, just ugly.

You will be fine.... it takes time!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:59 pm
    I had the same problem, did the water changes, the black out, the algone, and finally had to give in and buy the uv sterilizer. Somewhere I put up pictures of the green water and some photos showing before and after with the uv. It was truly amazing how much of a difference the uv made--of course it wasn't a cheap fix though. Definately an investment!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:04 am
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=12&t=556</a> Here's the link to those photos of the before uv and after the uv that I was talking about.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:05 am
    Algae blooms are usually caused by something Yes doing blackouts and decreasing lighting will temporarily fix the problem but finding WHAT is causing the bloom is your main issue. Do you add any ferts or root tabs, do you have CO2 in the tank?