1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need information about sumps

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

What the sump?
    Im acquiring a sump filter etc and I have no idea how they work or what they do, nothing nada nil none. Im looking for anything and everything, slather it on thick!

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

here's a link i found if you have any questions pm me and i'll explain everything for you.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.vafishfreek.com/wetdrynsump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vafishfreek.com/wetdrynsump.html</a>

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A sump is basically a large wet/dry filter. It allows for a larger volume of water to be kept in circulation in a tank to help further stabilize your water parameters. A lot of people put feeder fish in their sumps along with some plants to keep things cycled.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

think of a whisper hang on the back filter.........now picture it the size of say a 20 gal long
    in a nut shell it is water dropped over millions of sq inches for the good bat. to grow <bio balls or ceramic stone or double spiral, the black incert under the white floss in a whisper> then falling onto a sponge <white floss part of the whisper> then into a holding tank <the whisper filter part> which then get pumped back into the main tank
    Thus creates water movement transferring bad gasses out and good gasses in.
    Pros most say is the best type of filtration
    Cons can get costly if pumps give out ,and if not set up right i havent seen one 20 gallon that will hold 40 gallons of water.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I was wondering if I should throw some plants or rocks or feeder fish or something into the holding tank of my wet dry filter.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A lot of people do. If it were me, I would.

7. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

The wet dry on my SW tank I'm setting up is gonna be filled with LR.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, what would you put in there?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd just put a very low light plant in there like java moss and some feeder goldfish or something small.

10. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yeah, i wouldn't even go with the fish because they can cause a bigger bio load....i'll just put plants and java with a grow light...they'll help with phosphates, heavy metals and nitrates....i'm planning on getting red mangroves for my sump now...i'm ordering them today, friday i'm planning on breaking down my tank to get rid of some live rock, oh and i'm also suppose to pick up a couple of koralia 4's tonight for some more flow in the tank....

11. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Yeah easy growing plants would be the best.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

how high should the water level be in my wet dry filter, currently its about 5 inches high, just about the pump, is this normal?

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There should be enough room so that if the power fails any water that would drain back into it isn't enough to make it overflow.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

o ok, so it should never be full?

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hahaha, my amateur ass had it slammed full at first! No wonder it kept over flowing

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) The only time it should be full or very close to full is if your power goes out.

This is why I use UPS on my tanks.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

is it normal for all wet dry filter's water level to drop below the pump? I would say mine does this maybe twice a week? I ust top it off, the tank level never drops just the water line in the wet dry.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Evaporation ?

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

maybe, but is this normal?